Explorer Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 explorer 4.0l auto tranny, I have been having a very noisy moaning and slight rattling in the front. I have changed everything ( wheen bearing hubs. Upper and lower control arms and ball joints, ) but still the front end is noisy. I thought maybe it's time for a bearing and seal kit, but the car is NEVER used in 4 wheel drive, so I dont think the bearings are bad in the diff. But I can grab a wheel axle and I can shake it a little up and down and in and out. Is this normal ? Could this be the source of my noise ? Also, will it hurt anything if I remove the 2 front wheen drive shafts ? I know I wont have ant 4 wheel drive, but if they are bad can I run without them until I can get new ones ? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Bad CV axles tend to make a clicking noise when turning first, and "usually" (but not always) are a result of a torn boot letting the grease escape and/or grime to get in.

Yes you can remove them, but if all it's doing is making some noise do you really need to?

When you wrote that you can grab a wheel axle and shake it a little, it will have a slight amount of play but not be sloppy. Compare the left and right sides, odds are they won't both fail at exactly the same time, even though they may have similar wear, so if one is noticeably looser than the other, that should suggest you found a bad one.

Is the movement observed IN one or both CV axle joints or is it at the inboard end, in the front differential? I don't get back to this forum often so these are just things for you to think about, not things that I will expect an answer to for further suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey recently I had a grinding sound it was coming from what I thought was the front left axle that only happen intermittently like when I was slow down or come to a stop, And started the next time i drove it after I had a flat tire and put on the spare tire. And drove it for about a week with this noise occuring two or three times a day. Then I got the original tire replaced and the noise stopped I didn't realize it at the time but the spare tire was a 225 / 70 / R15 my original tire is 235 / 70 / R15 and that slight diffefence in tire size causes some kind of causes the front axles to spin a different revolutions as opposed to being exactly the same make sure that your tire sizes are 100% the same

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad CV axles tend to make a clicking noise when turning first, and "usually" (but not always) are a result of a torn boot letting the grease escape and/or grime to get in.

Yes you can remove them, but if all it's doing is making some noise do you really need to?

When you wrote that you can grab a wheel axle and shake it a little, it will have a slight amount of play but not be sloppy. Compare the left and right sides, odds are they won't both fail at exactly the same time, even though they may have similar wear, so if one is noticeably looser than the other, that should suggest you found a bad one.

Is the movement observed IN one or both CV axle joints or is it at the inboard end, in the front differential? I don't get back to this forum often so these are just things for you to think about, not things that I will expect an answer to for further suggestions.
Yes circ clip can come loose and cause this

1 - 5 of 5 Posts