Explorer Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was going to get a new black painted bumper through Bumpers.com but their sales rep informed me that they "no longer carry black bumpers, and never will again".....
Okkk...she offered me a discount on another color but that doesn't really help me at all.

So on eBay, I am bidding on a 99-01 bumper that is black and rubber, you know not the ABS plastic like my current bumper is. First of all, this is the same kind of surface as are used on the new Sports/Escapes/etc. A body shop could have this surface smoothed out and painted, right?

The reason why I won't just use my current bumper to be painted is because there is a dent in the drivers side fog light bezel and there are several deep scratches, etc. from god only knows what.

So here's two things I'm looking to find out:

A) If I DONT get the bumper painted, and it stays as the black rubber, would it look BAD if I put the EE airdam (painted black of course) on this? I would think the painted and non-painted "blacks" would clash

B) If I DO get it painted, about how much would it cost? I'd be bringing them the bumper so it's not like they'd have to take it off my car and put it back on.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that I found out that the bumper surface is completely smooth, its not the rubber textured surface that it normally is. This is definitely good to know. Should make the prep work just that much easier if I were to have it painted.

·
Registered
391 Posts
well, I'm not sure of yoursecond question, but about leaving the unpainted rubber part black and painting the airdam black.... would think, that the rubber already being black that, overtime, if it hasn't already, it will start to fade, so I would say, get it repainted black so it won't fade.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Rob that is good that you found out that the bumper is completely smooth. Prep is a *censored* for the plastic and I believe it costs a small fortune too because of all the prep needed. The smooth shouldn't be too much to paint since all that has to be done is sand it resmooth then paint. Hurry up and get the bumper so I can see it on your X!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts