Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a sound exactly like the sound wheels make when they're out of balance (whum whum whum) coming from the front end. I had the wheels balanced and rotated today and it's still making the sound. I get no vibration when braking, just the regular smooth braking that I've always had nor do I have any vibration in the steering.

Anybody have any ideas? Alignment, maybe?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I'd say to check the tire pressure but I read in another post that you I guess do that regularly so I guess that wouldn't be it...an alignment should definitely fix the problem...however since you said you just got your tires balanced and rotated today, it leads me to suspect that possibly there is uneven tire wear on the front two tires, which might lead to the noises....its just a guess...

Anyways, good luck with it and again I recommend the alignment.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I'm with Rob. Go for an alignment. My '95 had that same sound even after an alignment but my tires weren't worn evenly. Two of the tires on mine had more tread than the other two because they were newer. That's because some ass slashed two tires. An alignment may fix your problem though.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, sounds like a plan. I just drove it down a level highway and it does pull to the left so I definitely do need an alignment anyway.

They did check the air pressure today, too. They also checked the tire tread wear and the front two and rear two are even with each other. The rear is a little more worn than the front, naturally. (
)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Make sure they put both the rear tires in the front then and not otherwise because then that would prove my point that I made earlier..

·
Registered
640 Posts
Wilson: Are you running the Goodyear RTS by any chance? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the "fine" goodyear tires. Rotated them front to back and it was gone.

G

·
Sounds like they're cupped. My winter tires do the same. You are just gonna have to live with it until the tires are dead, or until you can't stand it anymore. Keeping them rotated will stop any more damage to the tires.

G

·
yea i'm with these guyz, mine does the same thing, its warn in the inner side of the tire and it makes that noise, just keep rotating them and u should be fine man....peace

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem, I rotated my tires and got a balance and an alignment and it fixed the problem, also made the ride more smooth and enjoyable.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, sounds like a plan. I'm taking it Saturday for an alignment. I want these tires to last a few more months until I can get new rims.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I recommend one last thing to give you piece of mind

Get on a highway and have a friend drive your ride and you in his car. And then see if you can pinpoint exactly were this noise is coming from as you drive beside your own car.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's an idea. I'll try that this weekend. I'm still going to get the alignment since I need one anyway but if that doesn't cure it, I'll try this.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I need new tires.
And right before I go home, too.
That damn break in and stereo theft the week before last is really coming back to bite me now. I could've used the money I spent on the stereo for tires. I know it's just regular maintenance but it just seems I'm having all this crap happen at once.

2 weeks ago, like I mentioned before, I had all the wheels balanced and rotated. After being rotated, the car pulled quite a bit to the left. I got an alignment at Sears yesterday and it still pulled. The guy then switched the tires left to right and it now pulled to the right. The "whum whum whum" noise also switched to the drivers side which obviously means it's the tire making the noise. The tires are just about at the tread wear mark so I have to get new ones. It bugs me mostly because I plan on getting new rims and tires in spring so this feels like a huge waste.

Anyway, I was thinking about just getting those cheaper Liberator brand tires at WalMart just to hold me over. They have pretty much the same stats as the Goodyears that are on there now, except they have a 40,000 mile warranty instead of a 50,000. I'm only getting the front two for now so they'll have different brand tires in the front until after Christmas.

Pisses me off...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Try Tire Rack

If you get very little snow these tires are long lasting, cheap but of good quality / they do have a white walls but if you have them mounted with the white will in, none will be the wiser. $56.-

TREADLIFE WARRANTY 80000 Miles 8O

Click here

You Selected: 235/75-15

Performance Category: All

Brands: Yokohama

Speed Ratings: All

Yokohama

Avid Touring

PRICE $56

ROAD HAZARD PROGRAM

(price with four tires) $26.88

ESTIMATED AVAILABILITY In Stock Low Stock

PERFORMANCE

CATEGORY Standard Touring All-Season All-Season

SPEED RATING SR SR

TREADLIFE WARRANTY 80000 Miles

WARRANTY RATING*

HANDLING RATING 8.00

DRY TRACTION 8.6

WET TRACTION 8.1

SNOW TRACTION 7.1

RIDE COMFORT 8.8

NOISE COMFORT 8.7

WEAR 8.5

TREADWEAR RATING 620

TRACTION RATING A

TEMPERATURE RATING B

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, that's a great price and I'll certainly use them in the future. However, I need these on by Friday night. Have a road trip on Saturday.

BUT, I just came up with an idea: My spare is brand new. So, all I have to buy is one tire.
A fart smeller, I am

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Your spare tire is Firestone correct?

Check to make sure it's not stamped any were on the side wall "VD". That was the faulty tires.......

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, it's Goodyear RTS.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New tires = problem solved. The X is getting back into shape.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts