Explorer Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The '97 X I bought came from PA (which dosen't req, front license plates like NJ) Any way, I was wondering how it was supposed to be mounted? I mean, did they have the black frame on the front the plate goes on? Beacuse I only see 2 holes in the bumper, I know alot of cars have a black plastic frame support that the plate will screw to... Did these have that? and if so, where can I get one?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes, they had a plastic frame that the plate attaches to. I would check a junk yard/salvage yard first and a Ford dealer last! If you have to buy one new they will probably charge you an arm and a leg. :roll:

·
Registered
170 Posts
we have to have them here also but i took it off my dad's and moved it down to give it a sleeker look i will get a pic later and how you do it

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I'm not sure if they are required in MN, bit I removed it anyway.

I just have the bracket and plate in the back seat so I can stick it in the window when necessary.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I'm not sure if they are required in MN, bit I removed it anyway. ?
?

I just have the bracket and plate in the back seat so I can stick it in the window when necessary.
They are, unfortunately, probably because we have tabs in the front also. I see people on the road all the time without them though.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
They are, unfortunately, probably because we have tabs in the front also. I see people on the road all the time without them though.

I like the way it looks without a plate in front, but if I get an EE airdam, it will be mounted between the lower grille and the bottom lip of the airdam. I had it in the window for a while, but then I got sick of it being there. Why did they drill holes in the bumper rom the factory!!
I have to fix those too.

The cops won't pull me over for just a stupid plate missing :roll: Famous last words.

·
Registered
170 Posts
here's my dad's he had the black mouting plate but i dident like it

you would need to drill 2 small holes in the plate and get some small screw's to do this. if you would like i can take it apart and show you how i have it together?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I mounted mine, on my closet shelf, right next to a bunch of other useless junk.

On average i get stopped once a month for it, but usually the old, i don't want any holes in the bumper works.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I mounted mine, on my closet shelf, right next to a bunch of other useless junk.

On average i get stopped once a month for it, but usually the old, i don't want any holes in the bumper works.
Joe, have you ever gotten a ticket for your front window tints. It's so light but I was wondering if they still give you crap for it.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
If i pass through wall township, i've got about a 90% chance of getting stopped, they've ticketed me about 3 times.

The tint is not that dark as you said, but from certain angles because of how dark the back is the frong does look dark. I've gotten the "you can't have any" speech about 20 times.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
If i pass through wall township, i've got ?about a 90% chance of getting stopped, they've ticketed me about 3 times.

The tint is not that dark as you said, but from certain angles because of how dark the back is the frong does look dark. ?I've gotten the "you can't have any" speech about 20 times.

You know whats really bizarre? I haven't gotten pulled over ONCE for my window tints, and I've been driving around with a 20% tint which on overcast days looks as dark as limo for a year now. I seriously expected by now I'd have a speeding ticket (but I guess I learned my lesson), but at least a window tint fine by now. Guess not
But I'm certainly NOT complaining. I have to get it stripped temporarily to pass inspection.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Jackson, lakewood, howell, tomsriver are all very lieniant on it.

Freehold and wall are know as the ball busters.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Jackson, lakewood, howell, tomsriver are all very lieniant on it. ?

Freehold and wall are know as the ball busters.
I'm surprised because one of the detectives on the Jackson police force is a member of my fire company and whenever he pulls people over for anything and they have window tints he asks them how they're getting home because he actually has their car impounded (yes cops can do that for window tints, but yes IMO thats really excessive).

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I'm seriously doubting that, besides most detectives don't even pull people over. They'd have every parent in jackson beating the police station doors down. I also doubt that's even legal.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I'm seriously doubting that, besides most detectives don't even pull people over. ?They'd have every parent in jackson beating the police station doors down. ? I also doubt that's even legal.
He rarely pulls people over but he'll do it. I've personally seen him pull people over (they will go FLYING past the fire station, he jumps in his patrol car (stealth) and pulls them over), and he is a no-bs guy. He takes no **** from anyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts