Explorer Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Are you sure the tinted taillights are 100% legal? I was always under the impression that it wasn't. I know it is illegal at night time to use any sort of headlight or taillight covers, but wasn't sure what the deal was with actual spray tint.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i should say in ny i know that there isnt a law against having the amber part red, because all that is listed onthe dmv site is that there has to be a stop light, and a turn light, nothing about amber, it just has to be amber or red, cant be blue or white. There isnt a restriction on how much light has to be outputed because there is no way to test that. at least wtih the equipment the police use. Because the tint spray doesnt block much light, it doesnt interfere wtih the amouont of light the driver behind you sees, which doesnt hinder the driver behind you to see when you step on the brake. Honestly a cop will write you up for something else before writing you a ticket for these taillights because there isnt anything illegal about it. How legal they are might be a question, but is there anything in the dmv site that says these are illegal? not that i know of.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ok. FYI sorry for not clarifying but I meant specifically just the smoking....any turn signal on any taillight can be either red or amber that is the national standard. So I knew tinting the amber red was never ever a problem. After all, think about it, 3rd generation Explorers' turn signals on the taillights are red. It was just the smoking that I was concerned about (albeit my altezza taillights are already smoked and honestly i dont care).

·
Registered
62 Posts
it says right on the can "for off road use only" check your state DMV laws on visibility. it has to be visible from 100 or so yards, yadda yadda yadda

·
Registered
418 Posts
My tails are not visible after 5 yards (unless Im on the brake) at night you can't tell that it's smoked unless you're right next to another X. I've gotten more no front plate tickets than anything else. The tails (in CA) are not a big deal I guess.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive compared them to my friend stock 97 explorer, and there really isnt much of a difference. I took a picture with one side tinted and the other stock, and there is almost no difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts