Explorer Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to modifyng a new vehicle, I was wondering what Warrantee issues would I face? Do I face a voided warrantee say if I mod intake/exhaust system or adding custom wheels that disable the Tire Monitoring system on my Aviator? Just wondering if anyone has been faced with any warrantee issues and if so what were the results.

Thanks for any reply,

Stro

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hey Stro,

Well I believe the way it goes is if you were to replace your wheels and tires, if for some reason something failed that was as a result of the aftermarket wheels, they will not cover it. But just because you replace your aftermarket wheels doesn't mean they won't fix your engine. You know what I mean?

Like when I installed my X-Spec Suspension kit, basically anything with my suspension (which now has been completely replaced with aftermarket parts) is now on my own hands...so my warranty for that more or less has been "voided."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copy that Rob. That's what I figured. I just needed to have other inputs due to the wife's concern about my need to modify a perfectly good working brand new vehicle. If anyone else has any particalar warrantee experince and or knowledge please share. Thanks Rob I can always count on you for good info.

Stro

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hear you. Your preaching to the choir. If only my wife understood. LOL

Stro

Amen to that!
I think we all need our wifes to spend some time with Snoozer

As for mod's and warranty issues, it will differ significantly from dealer to dealer. If you find a mod friendly one, make sure you bring gifts (food, gift certificates...) to the service manager any time your vehicle is in for something and it never hurts to include enough for the tech's as well if it's food. You would not believe how far that will get you. My dealership took better care of me and my Grand Cherokee with 4+ inches of lift, exhaust, intake, differential, bumper and many other mod's than they did of 99% of their stock customers all because of the relationship I built with them.

Chad

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I agree with Chad, it really depends on the dealer, so far I havent had any warrenty issues since I had my Explorer lowered, I do know that the service department noted several times that the vehice has aftermarket lowering springs and that the 4 wheel alignement "may wear tires and suspension items" they wrote this allover the repair order but so far I havent had to have anything fixed since the lowering.

From what I have been told by my salesman (for what it's worth) Ford has cracked down on any aftermarket mods and will not cover items that are related to the mods, it seems like they will use anything for a excuse not to cover items, just make sure the mods you make arent major until the warrenty runs out. As far as wheels, I dont think you should have much of a problem with that. Isnt there a way for them to install the Tire Monitoring system on the aftermarket wheels?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts