Explorer Talk banner

Genius level tech advice needed

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  J_C 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm working on an 07 Mountaineer 4.0 rear wheel drive premier. It's a buddy's car and I'm doing this as a side job for him he had his engine replaced due to an overheat, the engine was installed and never fully completed. From there apparently it went from shop to shop with no one seemingly able to do it. Yes I know it's kind of baffling and stupid as to why no one could finish this job. So now the present day it lands in my lap I complete the installation while connections hoses this and that many many wiring repairs and get the vehicle running finding it has a dead misfire and the transmission is completely in op. I'm delving deeper into it now but after verifying fluid levels on transmission seeing that the radiator has been replaced and cooler of course. No engagement whatsoever.
Still diving into the engine misfire. Anyone ever heard of anything quite like this ridiculousness? Been a tech 27 years and never seen anything quite like this

#2 ·
It's what happens when you take a vehicle to a shop with young mechanics, so if they didn't take it apart themselves, they can't put it together.

Only explanation I can think of considering how common these vehicles are. Then again some just don't want to do old school rewiring projects, are only interested in a clear cut replace part X to solve something, with a billable hour rate.

I would wonder about the replacement engine. Did it come from a totaled vehicle or was it pulled because it already had the bad cylinder? Otherwise check normal things, spark on that cylinder, cylinder compression or leak down test, check fuel injector power and injector itself.

Was it only generating a misfire code for that cylinder or what ? No idea about transmission unless some of the wiring is damaged or still disconnected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.