Explorer Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i called around to get prices, since my winshield is cracked (i have no idea how it happened, but it's way too big to fix).

I called about 5 local places, mostly local only places, but i also called safelite which is a chain place.

prices ranged from 210-230

Yesterday safelite calls me back (they've had my name from previous mustang winshields, they have done) Originally there price was 215 installed at my house, they call and say if i schedule now, they will do it for 160 installed, including tax.

Goes to show, that the rumors that there is major mark ups on auto glass it true.

I did scedule it for 2 mondays from now.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Damn, how big is the crack? Looks like you'll have another fun venture of putting a Saleen decal on the windshield. I never heard back from that guy that was selling the Explorer windshield Saleen decals, I'll give him another buzz.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, how big is the crack? Looks like you'll have another fun venture of putting a Saleen decal on the windshield. I never heard back from that guy that was selling the Explorer windshield Saleen decals, I'll give him another buzz.

I was just about to ask you about the decal, I bet this time i can do it in less than an hour.

It's an s-shaped crack from the top to about half way down the winshield.

But 160 is a pretty good deal, it's 50 dollars less than my next estimate, comes with a lifetime installation warranty, and i can watch them do it. I like to watch, because my theory is "if someones going to f my explorer up, it should be me".

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Good. Yeah and the other obvious thing is, lets face it, you leave someone the keys and access to a supercharged V8 Explorer and they're going to want to f__k around with it. My friend has a 99 black M3 and needless to say he's extremely careful and anal where he takes his car in to get anything done to it, even if its a simple oil change.

I've heard many stories of even Ford dealership employees taking out customers Cobras or whatnot for a "test drive" to make sure the fixes fixed the problems, and well they do a little more than just test it.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done work at a few dealerships (not mechanic work), no ford dealships, but they beat the living hell out of cars.

Took my mustang to sears to get it aligned in like 94 or so, and it had 3 miles more on it when i got it back, (freehold mall, rob), i freaked out. They didn't charge me. I could understand a quarter of a mile, maybe 1 mile, but 3, i don't think so.

It was an exact 1990 saleen replica at the time, like i wouldn't be checking.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I'd freak out too man. Once I start doing more modifications to my truck and especially performance I'll sure as hell become anal about it. There is no rational explination or reasoning to have three extra miles on the odometer when all it should have done was sit in the parking lot and move a few feet!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Wanna guess what the markup is down here? A month after I moved here in 2000, I got a crack from a rock. They have no-deductible glass coverage here so you pay nothing to get it replaced. Matter of fact, most glass places will pay YOU up to $35.00 to replace your glass. So I get the windshield replaced and got a look at the bill when I signed for it. $430.00
. Unbelieveable. I can understand why Nationwide was pushing me so hard to go to one of their "preferred" providers last Wednesday to replace my glass from the break in.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my deductable would of cost me more than the winshield.

430$ ???

Sounds like some serious insurance fraud down there.

And they say NJ is the insurance fraud capital of the world (shares this throne with LA).

I guess we are just the ones that get caught.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah and, like I said, these glass companies will actually PAY YOU to do it, which really smacks of fraud. I got paid $25.00 for that windshield I was talking about. And there's no limit on how many windshields you get. After I got that windshield replaced I had it replaced again a month later due to another big crack. It's some kind of state law that it must be included in your coverage if you have full coverage. You don't get it if you only have liability.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
State by state. They're TECHNICALLY covered in New Jersey but you have to pay your deductible and most people have a $500.00 deductible so the insurance company isn't going to pay anything.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Thanks X - :box:

I get up this morning - head to work - and get smacked by a rock. By the time I get here, the crack has spread to about 2 inches from each side...

I blame this on you...

I've got a $500 deductible - so I'm paying for the entire thing. Time to find a glass man...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Ahhh......that royally sucks. That's the kind of stuff that happens this time of year with the bad weather and all.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, NJ is 500 deductable for damn near everyone, most companys rape you if you want the 200 or 0 deductable.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
They rape you in NJ regardless. I dropped from $1700 to $700 for full coverage when I first moved here. And believe it or not, I see a lot more accidents around here. A guy just got killed right in front of my apt. complex on Saturday, as a matter of fact.

But I think it may have gotten better up there. I was talking to my buddy in NJ on Saturday and he said he only pays $1200 for an '01 Ranger 4X4 extra cab. Not bad at all for NJ.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I pay 1600 total for full coverage on the x, and liability on the mustang.

which is ok, but what sucks is that they charge me as if i could drive them both at the same time. They should just make you sign a paper saying no one else can drive the second vehicle.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. They automatically think that SOMEBODY must drive the other vehicle since you can only drive one at a time. :roll: I went through the same thing with my wife. She doesn't have a license (long story; bad accident when she was younger) yes they wanted her info on my insurance. Whatever. It's cheaper when you're married, anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts