Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am definitely ready to buy the Gibson catback but when I searched on TruckPerformance.com for one, they only have kits for a single in, and I have a dual in muffler. This is a problem. I really want this Gibson but I am going to be royally PO'd if they don't make a compatible kit for my Explorer.

Anyone know if they have more kits then whats just listed on TruckPerformance? I am going to call John V. at EE tomorrow but I was wondering if any of you knew anything off hand.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unbelievable, they don't make it for my Explorer
:roll:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yea, sorry to say they don't. I just got their dealer catalog in the mail yesterday and it only lists a 2.5" single in/out system for the 99 2 door.

Chad

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blah. What I don't get is Matt (Black Magic) has a Gibson catback on his 2-Door sport and he has the SOHC engine. I guess Ford changed it to a single in starting in 2001. And I do know that not all 99 Sports have a dual in either, which I think is odd. Crazy Ford :roll:

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow that is odd. Kinda sucks nuts though for you. I had no idea Ford even put a dual in on some of the SOHCs.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow that is odd. ?Kinda sucks nuts though for you. ?I had no idea Ford even put a dual in on some of the SOHCs.
In terms of performance, is it better to have a dual in? Or does it not really make any difference? My guess is its better, because you have more airflow, but I could be wrong?!
:

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
You may be right but that wouldn't make any sense because the exhaust is the same and it can only move so much air out of the engine. I don't think there is a benefit to the dual in IMO.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Rob,

Just to clarify; you have a dual out from your Cat into your muffler? If so, is it a dual in to the cat or dual cats? This could still be a possibility for you, it just may be about 40 bucks more. to make it work. I'm sending you a PM as well...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a picture I took of the piping going into my muffler....no clue if it will help:

I can take better pictures and also pictures of the cat going backwards (towards the rear end) tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
When Gibson lists the compatible Explorers, does 2dr and 4dr matter? All I see for a 95-96 4.0 is 4dr.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes it does because the piping will be longer for 4-doors...

I already checked out Gibsons site, they don't make them for my Explorer. Also I have a '99 Explorer, not a 95-96.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yes it does because the piping will be longer for 4-doors...

I already checked out Gibsons site, they don't make them for my Explorer. Also I have a '99 Explorer, not a 95-96.
I know, I was just wondering for my x. I guess they dont make it for mine either

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Rob - the muffler will not be your problem. You should have basically 4 cats. 2 on each side. One is the pre-cat (first next to manifolds) then the cat itself. Then they will both come together into the muffler. Doesn't matter if they have a single in muffler or a dual in muffler - both sides will combine somewhere before the muffler or into the muffler.

The best way to do your exhaust is find a local shop that will do your exhaust from the manifolds back. Either do 1) a 2-in-2-out cat with a 2-in-2-out muffler and run duals, 2) a 2-in-2-out cat with a 2-in-1-out muffler and run a single exit, 3) run 2 cats (one for each side) into a 2-in-1-out muffler and a single exit, or 4) 2 cats and 2 mufflers with duals. Do this with either 2.25" or 2.5" pipe. The 4.0 does not push airflow enough to warrant 3" pipe - you will lose some that way.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whoa Cobra that is way, way WAY too much work just for an exhaust. I don't want or need all that stuff done, all I want is a simple bolt on kit like the Gibson. I don't even want to have to worry about the catalyctic converters whatsoever.

BTW right now I do have a Flowmaster 50 series on with a 3" exit pipe + cold air intake. I don't know if I'm technically losing torque but I do know that i have a hell of a lot better acceleration then my crappy stock setup.

BTW If I can't get a Gibson kit to work, then I am just going to say the hell with it and just buy a Gibson stainless steel tip and get that welded on. I don't really hate the Flowmaster, I just wanted a stainless steel catback exhaust.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I looked on Truck Performance for the prices. Looks like $255 for aluminized or $345 for stainless. Not trying to talk you into more than you want, but I had a 2-in-2-out hi flow Catco cat put on with a 2-in1-out Flowmaster 40 series and 3" stainless pipe all the way through done for $350 by a custom shop...

I doubt you are losing anything with the 3" pipe now - just because you still have basically the same setup as a stock exhaust - just a different muffler and exit pipe. The real restriction comes from around the cats.

For the money, I would have it done custom - but thats me. I have never liked the catback systems because they are really nothing more than a muffler and pipe. They don't do anything that a regular shop could do for half the money. JMO of course....

Just trying to help brother....

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, you might be onto something...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Rob,

Have you talked to any one at Gibson? I know they don't list a kit that works with your dual-in configuration, but they make just about every conceivable muffler configuration. Maybe it would be just a matter of swapping a different muffler into the standard kit to make it work for you.

Just a thought. I could be full of crap (again), but it would be worth a phone call if its something you really want to get done.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts