Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two in a row, I'm such a post whore. Here are some pics of the Gibson cat-back I recently purchased. Once I did the K&N intake I knew I had to do the exhaust! I looked at several manufacturers and settled on the Gibson stainless steel kit because I wanted it to last a long time. I imagine an aluminum kit in wet and rainy Oregon wouldn't last more than a few years.

Anyway, I'll post a few pics but you can get a more complete look here: http://mysite.verizon.net/res0fztc/. There are a lot of pics so dial up users be patient.

Here is the entire kit removed from the box.

The old muffler wasn't too hard to remove, just time consuming. But I did get it all out with no cutting!

Here is the Gibson muffler in place. Lots of room under there now that the huge OEM one is gone.

I am very pleased with the results. The pipes look and sound very nice, almost *cough* like a V8. It has a nice deep but mellow sound to it. The chrome Gibson tip on the end is a nice touch too.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow that looks great!!!
Must sound very nice.

·
Registered
185 Posts
do u think u can get a sound clip up i got a 02 v6 and id liek to hear what a gibson sounds like on a v6 b4 i got out and get one.. thanks...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Two in a row, I'm such a post whore. Here are some pics of the Gibson cat-back I recently purchased. Once I did the K&N intake I knew I had to do the exhaust! I looked at several manufacturers and settled on the Gibson stainless steel kit because I wanted it to last a long time. I imagine an aluminum kit in wet and rainy Oregon wouldn't last more than a few years.

A guy with 3 posts can't be a post whore!!! OR, maybe you're just warning us of things to come?

Nice looking install. You're right about the time consuming removal. I ended up cheating, and cut the stock pipe on mine so I wouldn't have to try and unbolt that one clamp up over the axle. Still, of a 4 1/2 hour install, 3 1/2 hours of mine was removal. And the lighter weight of the Gibson muffler fooled me - that big ass stock muffler just about crushed my head when it finally broke loose!

Susie - the Gibson tips are polished stainless steel.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
By the way - your write-ups on the installations are great!!!

The Gibson one had me reminscing quite a bit - it was the first work I had done on a car in quite a while, I cut the pipe so I wouldn't have to monkey with that bolt hiding clear up there, I couldn't figure out WHY Gibson said you had to cut the pipe right at the muffler, and I DID forget to put a jackstand under the old muffler.

Anyway, when Rob sees your writeups, he'll probably want to set them up as articles. Good work!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that big ass stock muffler just about crushed my head when it finally broke loose! ?

LOL, It almost got me too. That thing is a lot heavier than it looks. Thanks for the complements on the write up. I regret not taking more pictures but I didn't want to stop every few minutes to wash my hands before grabbing the camera. Maybe my next project will be putting a sink in the garage.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thats exactly why I don't have ANY pictures of mine. By the time I finished that project, I had to just throw away the clothes, and hope nobody noticed my hands for a week or so. Didn't want to take my new digital camera out there under the car, either, it was dripping snow and salt all over.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
How do you guys do this at home? I mean, isn't it hard to do without a lift? Because, with some of the prices I've been quoted for a custom install, I could buy a better one and put it on myself.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You just hit 1000 posts.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
How do you guys do this at home? I mean, isn't it hard to do without a lift? Because, with some of the prices I've been quoted for a custom install, I could buy a better one and put it on myself.

You put the rear end up on jack stands, take off the driver's side tire, and you hit your head a lot while you're laying on your filthy dirty, freezing cold garage floor wondering how it can be so damn dark under there.

But there's a great sense of accomplishment when you're done. And the look on your wife's face when you crawl out from under there is....priceless.

·
Registered
268 Posts

I will have a lift in my garage once it is built, but in the mean time and for as long as I have been working on cars, I have been doing it on my back on cold, wet, dirty, etc... floors. You can do just about anything without a lift if you are willing to crawl around under the vehicle.

A buddy of mine just installed a 2 post chassis lift in his garage and it is soooooooooo nice! and so worth the cost if you do alot of work or maintenance on your own rides!

Chad

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, that would be great to have. I'm looking to get an older Mustang GT soon that I plan on working on quite a bit (engine rebuild?). That would really come in handy.

Jeff, that's my normal method.
My wife usually has the "you're a moron" look on her face. She just doesn't appreciate my efforts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much did the gibson run you?
I paid $345 for the whole thing. They say they give you free shipping but I'm sure they're just padding the price. I looked around quite a bit and this was the about the best I could do. One local shop said the would order it for $360 something and I said no. Plus, I'm impatient so I prefer the online order method. Click click and it's at your door in a few days.

The price seems high but it was within my upgrade budget. I was going to get a chip but decided I didn't want to pay for premium. I saw the dual chips too, but I decided the car needs to breath better before the computer upgrades kick in.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
8O that was a great write up. I think that will be one of my next mods, I was worried how it would sound on a v6 but it sounds like you are very happy with it and it doesnt have that annoying sound on the inside. Nice job

·
Registered
418 Posts
great job! I love my gibson too! 345 is not a bad price for the stainless

1 - 20 of 40 Posts