Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hah! Hah! Made you look
What kind of things go through your mind, anyway? This is a family friendly site.

Anyway, since it was a nice day, and I didn't want to help clean the house, I spent most of the day "cleaning the garage". Got my new pedals installed, cleaned the interior, etc. Got to looking at that nice 3" stainless steel tip on the Gibson exhaust...only it wasn't looking so nice. All caked in winter grunge, and it had little spots all over it that looked almost like rust. That would make me an unhappy camper.

So I grabbed a jar of Blue Magic metal polish. Hit the billet antenna first, got it all shined up. Then I hit the tail pipe. Polished it good. Then again. And again. After seven times (almost an hour's worth), it got to shining pretty good.

What do you think??

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Looks awesome! Is your entire Gibson cat-back SS or aluminized with a SS tip?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Very nice
I should try the Blue Magic on my chrome tip.

BTW, it seems like everybody went out today and cleaned their X's! Just something I noticed

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks awesome! Is your entire Gibson cat-back SS or aluminized with a SS tip?

All stainless. Aluminized would probably last about a year around here, with all the corrosive crap they put on the roads :roll:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Figured. So I guess it stays really shiny all the time? I mean assuming there isn't snow crap on there. Or do you regularly polish it? I am about to buy one and I know I'll be polishing it pretty often to keep a show quality shine.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured. So I guess it stays really shiny all the time? I mean assuming there isn't snow crap on there. Or do you regularly polish it? I am about to buy one and I know I'll be polishing it pretty often to keep a show quality shine.

I mistakenly thought it would stay shiny by itself. Not so. But it should be pretty good in the summer. Winter was pretty tough on it.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
8O that looks real good Jeff

Do you have a pic from the side view? I just wonder what it looks like from the side where the tailpipe meets the tip. I hate the way my pipe shows up so much from the side, you can almost see up to the rear tire.

How did the tip hook on to the tailpipe? is there a clamp that shows.

sorry for so many questions

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8O ?that looks real good Jeff
?

Do you have a pic from the side view? I just wonder what it looks like from the side where the tailpipe meets the tip. I hate the way my pipe shows up so much from the side, you can almost see up to the rear tire. ?

How did the tip hook on to the tailpipe? is there a clamp that shows.

sorry for so many questions

I don't have a side pic, but I could probably take one for you tomorrow.

I really don't like how it looks from the side. You can see the pipe running straight back almost all the way to the axle. I was looking at it the other day, and wondering if I could hit it with some black high-temp paint or something.

The tip slips over the pipe, and has a built in clampy thing on the top, that through bolts to tighten it on the pipe. Its not really noticeable.

I've seen some tips that are longer, so they extend back under the bumper farther, which would be nice. The Gibson tip is only 8" long.

I'll take a couple more pics tomorrow, and put them on here.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I really think I am going to get that system sometime, I was just going to get some kind of tip for mine but I dont want it to look like I just clamped a chrome tip on there.

Oh and a little extra performance wouldnt hurt
I read where a couple of people have installed that system on a v6 and they were happy with the sound

(I really dont want it to sound bad)

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Looks great!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some more pics of the exhaust situation (mostly for you, Brad). The thing is, the Gibson exhaust follows the path of the stock system almost exactly. There really aren't a lot of other options, if you plan to carry a spare tire, and stay legal. So you have a big hunk of pipe running down the side of the vehicle, which isn't the most attractive thing in the world. I had thought about trying to finish it somehow, but I don't know how successful that would be.

Maybe some kind of hideous ricer ground effects kit would cover it up. Something like that one Escalade had. :pimpride:

Picks also show the little clamp on top of the tip.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thanks for the side view pics Jeff
The tip attaches on there real nice.

You have to do something with the tailpipe though, like Ted said above

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
You could buy a longer tip too. I know Gibson sells 12" long tips so that would cover more of that piping.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You could sand off the rust and spray some silver High temp paint on the pipe. It would clean up the look. Or you can paint it black, like Rocket's exhaust.

I was thinking about painting the pipe black AND getting a longer tip.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have to polish my muffler because it is SS. I don't have a tip yet, or else that would probably be as bad as yours was before you polished it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Jeff,

That looks good! I used some black hi temp paint on the custom tailpipe on my Grand Cherokee and it held up well for 3 years of Pittsburgh salt.

One question for you, how much of an increase in sound level did you notice between the Gibson exhaust and the stock? I'm trying to decide what I am going to do and I want it to be barely louder than stock, nothing like the flowmaster I had before.

Thanks

Chad

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chad,

I've been VERY happy with the Gibson. Its got a nice deep tone from outside the truck, without getting overly loud. And there is very little "droning" in the cabin. Then when you really wind it up, it sounds GREAT. Perfect for "grown ups", or partial grown ups like me. Most of the time, my K&N intake makes a lot more noise than the exhaust.

I did run for a couple weeks with just the exhaust mod before I did the intake. I found myself rolling the windows down at stop lights, so I could listen to the exhaust when I started back up.
From inside, the sound was different more so than being louder.

You hear a lot of people complain that the Gibson isn't loud enough, or is "just slightly louder than stock. Well, it sounds completely different than stock, and I wouldn't want to run it on a Limited if it were any louder. So, its just about perfect for my taste.

My wife rolls her eyes every time I go screaming down a freeway ramp, so that's worth the cost of it right there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts