Explorer Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever attempted to change all the little grene lights (door locks, etc) to a differant color? is it easy? please share any thoughts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I haven't done it personally but its not real involved. It's more tedius I would say since every single piece that is lit by green you will have to take apart and replace with the color bulb of your choice. To me, its not worth it but hey do whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If I remember, you take the gauges out and basically sand the rear part of the faces - getting the green laminate color off. Then you can either paint the faces a different color or use different color bulbs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coo info but i think i got the gauges taken care of, im gonna get some overlays... i was referring to the rest of the interior... im thinking i can buy a large piece of blue lens paper and just go thru the interior finding each light and removing green and covering with blue. can i get any confirmation that the interior is made up of green film and not green bulbs?? if sumone could take a look (i know it could be a lil bit of work) id really apreciate it

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
mspeedpro, please read my above post.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also, do any of yall have a detailed manual for the explorer where it actualy goes into what is involved to take apart each piece that would need to be fooled with to achieve the color change?? any scans of anything useful would be appreciated or i can just go get the manual if its not tooo expensive, thanks again :-D

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
also, do any of yall have a detailed manual for the explorer where it actualy goes into what is involved to take apart each piece that would need to be fooled with to achieve the color change?? any scans of anything useful would be appreciated or i can just go get the manual if its not tooo expensive, thanks again :-D
They have these types of manuals on eBay all the time. They come on a CD.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I would think you need to find out if the switch bulbs are servicable, I would think that Ford would just make you buy a new switch, I dont know if the dealers would be able to handle taking apart a switch and replacing a bulb in the switch, just a guess. Let us know if you find out anything and good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is it difficult to take any of the switches out or is it all pretty straight forward- pop em off or whatever... i wish i had the explorer sitting right here with me so i could check it out for myself but its my gf's which is far away... i will def post a TON of pics of the blue neons, guages, lights, etc on this board so the rest of the forum can benefit... do u know if gettin to ur gauge cluster is hard? im gonna be putting on sum overlays and im patiently awaiting a how-to from sumone, post away in the howto if anyone knows!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have taken my switches off and put new bulbs in them, for example I had my rear defrost and fog light switch lights burn out. I have done it several times. I dont think you have do the lights for the window switches. On the existing bulbs you can buy different color rubber cover to go over the bulbs in the switches, you just have to bring a bulb into radio shack and make sure it fits

1 - 15 of 15 Posts