Explorer Talk banner

Hard to shift

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  mickeymann 
#1 ·
It is very difficult to shift from park to drive . I have to exert some force to get lever to move. Goes into park just fine. Is the truck an electronic shift? It does go into drive but just need to convince it to do so. Any ideas.

Truck is from New Hampshire. Came to SC in 2014. Might be something to do with those winters up there? IDK

Thanks
Earl

#2 · (Edited)
There are two little gold colored tork screws bolts on the steering column that cause all kind of chaos with the column shifter. When they are loose it's very difficult to shift between the gears especially from drive to park. I have attached a link which is very informative and should start you down the right trail even if it isn't the two bolts. I would still bet on the two bolts.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...se-gear-shifter-and-what-is-this-bolt.219144/

YouTube Video of screws location.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKqiDy_Po2M

#5 ·
I did find the correct screws. I didn't realize they were so close to the front of the dash area. I had to take the plastic and the metal knee bumpboard off. They are in a difficult place to reach . I don't have a torx driver the correct size to reach them . Ill have to buy a socket to be able to get them to work. I don't know if they are loose or not but I can tell by looking they may be. It is so F....n hot here I cant work but a few minutes and I need to come in and dry off a bit. I sweat like a waterfall and its easy for me to get dehydrated . But ill get a socket torx and hope to have it done by Wednesday. Im out of town tomorrow so I wont be able to get to it. Ill get back to you guys. Many thanks for the help.
Earl

#7 ·
Finally got time to attack the screws on the truck. I had a hell of a time . I got to one screw and it was loose and I tightened it. I couldn't get to the second screw easily . I was sweating profusely and I couldn't see . Wet hands and all the rest. So I got up and started the thing up and started shifting the thing back and forth. Major difference in just the one. I will have to wait till the humidity eases up a bit before I do the other one. But you were right it was the screws. Thanks a lot Much appreciated.

Earl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.