Explorer Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were driving around last night and she was messing with the chair. All functions besides moving it back work 100% perfectly. For whatever reason the seat will not move back at all. My wife of course had to make sure of this and move the seat up several times... were at the point where it's damn near as close to the air bag as possible. I have tried to physically force it back in place with no luck. So any ideas? Should i just take the seat out and see if there is a short somewhere?

It's a 98 explorer 5.0 limited with full power seats.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I would think that there is a motor issue if you can only move it one direction or the other. The switch has 6 wires going to it, two for each motor on the track. I would think there is a loss of connection if it is moving one way or another. Can't hurt to check it out and smear some dialectic grease on it.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Ditto, hopefully it's an electrical problem. Try to look around the seat bottom at the seat track to check the connections. If nothing is obvious, I would remove the four floor seat bolts and lay the seat back to get under it better. The problem will be under the seat in the seat track section. The whole seat track can be bought separately, without the control parts.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys. It's so odd that it lets me move it in all directions with the exception of backwords. I'm hoping to have some extra time tomorrow to look at it so i'll let you guys know what i find out.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
It is unlikely that a motor would fail and only allow one direction of movement. I would lean more toward the switch itself. The switch just reverses polarity on the motor to change directions.

Two wires for +/- input power -- those are obviously fine

Two wires for forward/back motor -- those must be good as well

Two wires for lean forward/back motor -- those work also

If you really need to get the seat back, you can try hooking up the switch from the drivers side to move it back. It is just two screws to remove the side cover. Pull off the lumbar knob and there is a screw behind it. There is also another screw on the back lower edge of the trim cover. After that the cover just pulls right out to release clips and then you can unhook the wiring connector. You just need a #2 phillips screwdriver.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
If it's the switch, that can be bought alone from Ford or on eBay. I've seen those for the Explorer from one of my favorite Ford parts sellers.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i took the seat out, no wires we un hooked which didn't surprise me too much. I can't find anything obviously wrong. The seat is 100% forward now but i did move it the last inch to achieve that i do know the part that moves the seat backwords/forward. Now when i click the button to go forward i hear a click but still nothing for going backwards.

99x I will take a look at the switch, and worse case scenario I will do what you suggested in order to get the seat back. At this point the passenger seat is useless lol.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its fixed, took the switch apart and put it back to together and it seems to work alright for now. The seat is at least back to the 'normal' position so it usable now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact problem, except my boyfriend had to keep moving it forward, lol. Thank you for reporting back X98, I know what I need to do! Kudos!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts