Explorer Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think. As far as this thread went, then there may be hope for guys looking for a set. I have not tried to order any - basically because I already have headers, but you might want to try. The guy said he ordered his just before X-Mas and has them already put on...

www.team-performance.com

Here is the thread where a guy at FTE said he got his just before X-Mas...

FTE Thread

Just letting guys know.... 8)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Another FYI here is that Explorer Express is also selling JBA headers for 3rd generation Explorers, Sport Trac's, 01-03 Sports, and although it is not listed yet, I am almost positive he has JBA headers for first and second generation Explorers.

John will have to confirm this, though...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Uhhh.....$133.46 for headers? Can that be right? 8O

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Apparently....but does anyone know how good "Block Hugger headers" are though? That is the brand after all and I haven't heard of them before, but that could just be me. My guess is for that cheap they must basically be practically like stock headers.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Oh
Well that makes sense. Good work Eric

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flowtech (Holley) makes good headers. Many of the off-road guys around Utah are using them on their full size trucks. I had not seen Flowtech ever make them for Explorers until this.

I may buy a set just to see what they are like. $133 is not bad...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
OK, see what they're like and then mail them to me. 8)

BTW, how hard are these to install on a V8? A pain in the butt, I bet, because there's not very much room in there.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are not the easiest thing to install, but not so bad you can't do it yourself. For someone not used to working on engines, the headers are a PITA. You will need a good half day to full day to do it though. I did not have a very hard time once I got the headers diconnected from the pipe. My plates were in such a weird position, I could not get to the bolts without using about 3 feet of extentions. After that, it was just wiggling the old pipes out and the new in. the drivers side is definitely easier though.

Since I've got mine already - go ahead and get some Wilson and let us know what you think. I think Rob could use a good tech article from you on header install....

·
Registered
640 Posts
While these "block hugger" (street rod style) headers might physically bolt up to the engine, I have huge doubts that these will fit the Explorer. If they clear all the crap around the engine bay, they will then require a custom intermediate pipe. I would call Holley about this one, because to my knowledge NO ONE other than FMS made a bolt on 5.0 Explorer header.

I would hate to see some one get the shaft on this one, please call em' before you buy. I hope someone can prove me wrong, but I don't think those are going to work. If you look at Holley's site, they don't list ANY Explorer specific headers and they do have a section for smog legal shorties. Ask around on the Explorer Forum, this topic has been extensively discussed over there.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I don't go on EF.

BUT, I'm not looking to do something like this until after I move to the new house (March?) so I'll have to research it further.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeah, please research it further. I don't want to see anyone burn valuable time and money.
If you want to do that, my uncle will sign you up for Quixtar!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am on hold with Holley right now. I have a feeling these are generic 289/302 headers, and are not made specifically for Explorers, but I am going to find out...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK - just for clarification - these are not made specifically for the Explorer.

The guy I just talked to with Holley/Flowtech said you can use them on an X, but you will have to modify your pipes to bolt them up. They are not a direct bolt-on like the FMS are. Now, if you are planning on redoing your entire exhaust - this would be an option for you.....

·
Registered
640 Posts
Good job XP. I wa pretty much positive about this. I still have doubts that they may even clear the engine bay. Keep in mind also that they exit straight down. I see a ton of fab work to use these.

Thanks for checking it out and saving others any agony.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Hmmm....I am going to be getting a new exhaust in spring (still the original on now 8O ) so that MIGHT be an option. If it's a ton of fab work though, it wouldn't be worth it since the money saved on buying those headers would be pretty much wiped out. The straight down exit really doesn't seem like it would work, though.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've done the header deal, so I've been under there. Just isn't much room for anything!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts