Explorer Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i bought headers for my 02 4 door about a week ago i havent gotten them in yet but i was wondering if anyone has installed them on a 3rd gen.. i heard with the 2nd gen you have to customize a lil bit to make them fit and if thats also true with the 3rd gen im really not looking to do that .. i was under the impression that they bolted in place and matched up with the stock ones... but hey that might be my stupid brain at work again....i no installing them will be a byotch bc its a lil tight to get in there but i can work with that... im just not looking to customize anythign just for headers ... if thats the case ill have to do soemthing with them...

·
Registered
384 Posts
when I did my 95 the old manifolds came out easier than getting the new headers in. I suggest a big impact gun and a lot of high quality extensions to get to it from outside the wheel well.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
If they are for your Explorer. ?They will bolt right up. ?They are just a PITA to get to everything and install them. ?But they will be very nice! ?
This is contrary to what I was told by John V about headers for 95-01 Explorers though. I quote from his e-mail: "The thing about the headers is that they would need to be customized at the head pipe." I'm not sure if for 3rd generation Explorers if it will need to be customized though.

So these really aren't direct bolt-ons, despite being made for Explorers.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I read a complete set of instructions on installing JBA headers on a 3rd gen on the JBA web site, but it was for the V-8. Don't remember anything about problems with the head pipe, but at the part where it mentioned, "Oh, by the way, to do the passenger side, you need to unbolt the motor mount, and jack the engine up about an inch", I decided it was a little beyond the scope of what I felt comfortable doing in my garage. One of the rare occasions where I figure out I'm in over my head BEFORE I have a big pile of parts on the garage floor.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Taking the bolt or nut off the motor mount and jacking it up, is usally task that sounds alot harder than it is.

Also, the only thing i'd use an impact wrench on is the connect to the rest of the exhaust system, never on or off the heads. One bolt breakage an you will be very sorry.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i rounded out the head of one of exhaust manifold bolts on my failed install. if you use an impact gun, use impact tools, and take your time... duh, i wasn't so smart. :roll: i actually blew out a few tools.

i retightened the ones i had loosened and returned the headers. i wish i got through it... the job was an emotional rollercoaster on a 6 year old (at the time) truck.

i still wish i could hear my truck w/ headers. if i ever have to do engine work perhaps i'll give it another try.

best of luck!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah just an update guys....Andrew (CGAH02) is selling those headers, he didn't want to fuss around with the installation. I don't know if they're already sold or if he put them on eBay or what. But I know he didn't return them because Explorer Express doesn't give refunds, just exchanges or credits for the value of the item you're returning (which even I didn't know until this came up).

·
Registered
106 Posts
JCMaler,

Torque Monster Headers has all the install instructions on a CD/DCD/DVD. It takes a lot of the mistery out of installing headers. Our headers are for 5.0 V8 Explorer/Mountaineer 1996-2001. If you send an email to "[email protected]" with your mailing address, we will forward you a copy of the installation instructions for your viewing at no charge!

We will be running an introductory special on our headers at $689, starting 9-20-04. The engineering and quality is the best in the industry. We have a few sets available but we're moving them a little faster than expected. Check them out at "torquemonsterheaders.com" or "section525/xpage". If you want to hear your truck w/headers, these are the best!

Bob Pasquale

Tech Performance & Engineering

Torque Monster Headers

P.O. Box 22088

San Diego, CA 92192

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's nice, but not $689 nice. That's $72 per hp. The torque is definitely a nice bump, though, and with a big @ss SUV it's needed but that's definitely out of my price range.

It's great that someone is making Explorer parts, though.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Agreed, I mean if you are hardcore on performance for your Explorer (say you supercharged) then I suppose its worth it. But if you are just getting headers for the hell of it and maybe have a cold air intake kit with it, not worth it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gentlemen,

I want to thank everyone for their input and commentary. Torque Monster Headers is ongoing, to bring the best headers to the 5.0 V8 Explorer/Mountaineer enthusiast, where not much was to be had before.

Our newest dyno test along with smoother designed headers show some better numbers. We gained 9 more horsepower over our initial prototypes. From the Baseline Test, we gained a little over 18 horsepower! We will be posting this on "torquemonsterheaders.com" this coming week. All our tests were conducted with a pure stock vehicle on a 4X4 dyno. By the way, the dyno tester asked us if we could make a run with the stock air box left open. We ended with 2.5 more horsepower and 7 lbs of torque increase. Crazy!

It appears the new headers coming out of production will give you well worth your money in performance! You only get what you pay for gentlemen!

We have sent headers to a gentleman in NC for the purpose of using them with a supecharger. He was truly amazed by the headers design. We asked for some feedback when the whole assembly is up and running (headers & supercharger).

All the best!

Bob Pasquale

Tech Performance & Engineering

Torque Monster Headers

P.O. Box 22088

San Diego, CA 92192

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Im am getting really excited about these headers, and I don't even have a budget for them.

Man I wish that I could loose a tooth and have the toothfairy leave $689 bucks under my pillow

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I have no question that those headers out perform the FMS p headers, the real question is do they outperform enough to make up for $350 bucks.

I like the design, they look like more of an equal lenght setup. And i'm a big equal length fan. Maybe as production increases price may decrease.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts