Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My car wouldn't fully start the morning after our first night below freezing here in TN. The lights turned on and the automatic locks were working, but it was like there just wasn't enough juice to get the engine going. I jumped the car successfully and made sure to keep the engine running for 20+ minutes, driving around the neighborhood. The next morning, I experienced the very same problem! Lights on, but can't get car to start.

I know I've given very limited info, but does this sound like a bad battery or a bad alternator? My car has never reacted to the cold like this before -- I had it in CO for 10 years before moving to TN and it handled cold winters like a champ. Would love some wisdom here!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all. My car wouldn't fully start the morning after our first night below freezing here in TN. The lights turned on and the automatic locks were working, but it was like there just wasn't enough juice to get the engine going. I jumped the car successfully and made sure to keep the engine running for 20+ minutes, driving around the neighborhood. The next morning, I experienced the very same problem! Lights on, but can't get car to start.

I know I've given very limited info, but does this sound like a bad battery or a bad alternator? My car has never reacted to the cold like this before -- I had it in CO for 10 years before moving to TN and it handled cold winters like a champ. Would love some wisdom here!
How old is your battery? If you have a volt meter, what is the voltage across the battery with the engine running? Voltage across the battery in the morning b4 you try to start it?

I suspect you have an older battery and it has a bad cell. The vehicle is old enough that the alternator too could be bad

1 - 2 of 2 Posts