Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm trying to remove my gray pin stripe and having no luck
I heated up one end with a hair dryer real good and its not coming up
Tried to take my finger nail and start peeling it up, but thats not working either. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I used a heat gun to remove the stripes on my friends X. It gets much hotter, but I would think a hair dryer would work. The heat gun got it really soft and it came right up. Hold the dryer closer, is the only thing I can come up with.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it wont harm my paint? I just want this dang thing off. Like I said earlier I tried to "peel" it off, but it only would "chip" away at it. To me it doesnt really look like a decal....but I dunno.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Not at all, unless it has been repainted, make sure that there isnt a paint edge next to any of the stripes, if there is then it well leave a line and can start to peel.

That damn strpe adhesive it hard as hell to get off

Those stripe removers work great, I believe they make 2 different ones, one is for a air powered tool, and they should make one that you can use with a drill, you have to get the attachment or you could just have a body shop removed for you but it will cost you

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
It's probably dried up, which is why it's "chipping" off. Try doing it on a sunny/hot day so soften it up. You may have to sweat a little but it might be easier. As for the left over adhesive, mineral spirits works good for it, put some on the adhesive let it soak for a minute or two the rub it off with a napkin/cloth.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, no paint up to the edge of the pinstripe... I'm gonna order that one in the link for my drill and see what happens

·
Registered
391 Posts
HEY ALLIE!!! DON"T USE THE PINSTRIPE REMOVER!!!!!! I started to use one what I was removing my pinstripe on my back hatch, and it rubbed the paint... you can't see it from far away, but if your upclose, you can see all these vertical lines in my paint now, and I went slow with the pinstripe remover.... I would suggest to use a hair dryer, and I used the tip of a knife to get the edge started, then once you start pulling it off, keep the hair dryed aimed towards the portion that is about to come off, and make sure you pull the strip off at a 90 degree angle, or perpendicular to the side of the X, it will come off easier, oh, you probably know this but just in case, don't leave the dryer in one place to long, b/c it can heat up the paint and COULD make it bubble.

--Ryan

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Explorerchic, this is a long and painful exercise. You use a hair dryer on high near the edge of the pin stripe. Use your finger nail to peel it up a little bit and start to pull it off. While pulling it off keep the hair dryer on the pin stripe or it will just break off. Finally, once you get it off, it leaves behind a little sticky resido. You have to take a shammy and rub really hard to make it come off or use a buffer with a cloth. I used the buffer with a cloth opn it and it worked really well. Note I tryed useing Bug and Tar remover on it and it did not work.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Explorerchic, this is a long and painful exercise. You use a hair dryer on high near the edge of the pin stripe. Use your finger nail to peel it up a little bit and start to pull it off. While pulling it off keep the hair dryer on the pin stripe or it will just break off.
Yes, thats exactly what I did on a friend's Explorer. That's all there is to it, you just have to have patience and be careful. There is absolutely no reason to buy gimmick pinstripe removing utilities.

Also make sure you PROMPTLY wax the entire area where your pinstripe used to be or else you will have some serious paint issues around that area down the road. I mean it, you have to do it right away. Don't put it off.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Allie, do you have someone that could help you out
Have them hold the hair dryer and you can try getting some dental floss or fishing line under it and that usually takes it off pretty easy. Then use the "Goo Gone" to remove the adhesive left on.

But I have to warn you about the remover...not a good idea. I know far too many people that had problems with that.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
But I have to warn you about the remover...not a good idea. I know far too many people that had problems with that.
I second Susie's comment. Like I said earlier Ally, that "pinstripe remover kit" is nothing more than a sad gimmick...don't waste your time and money with it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
HEY ALLIE!!! DON"T USE THE PINSTRIPE REMOVER!!!!!! I started to use one what I was removing my pinstripe on my back hatch, and it rubbed the paint... you can't see it from far away, but if your upclose, you can see all these vertical lines in my paint now, and I went slow with the pinstripe remover

^^^^ What HE Said ^^^^

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hmm, I didn't know about waxing those areas Rob. I think next month somtime I will go ahead and do it. If you look close you can see that the paint where the stripe was is darker then the rest of the car. Since it has not been able to oxidis

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I shouldnt get it??? I tried yet again today to remove it...its not coming up at all only chips and flakes away
I dont think its a decal

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
If its not a decal, what else would it be? The pinstripes on Explorers have only ever been decals. What do you mean by "chips and flakes away?" The actual paint, or just the pinstripe coming off? You just have to have some patience and stick with it. They will come off easier on some Explorers than others.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
The pinstripe may have UV damage, that is why it has hardened and chips off. I would think on a '00 model it should still be fine, but I am from where the sun don't shine.
It will take some time, but it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Maybe its the rare and endangered pinstripe that is actually painted. You've mentioned a couple of times that it doesn't seem to be a decal.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts