Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a '97 or '98 Exlporer, but I wanted to see what major problems if any there were, engine, trans, etc...

One place has a '97 with 111000 miles and is a v8, and they also have a '98 with 90,000 with the v6 and it's a Eddie bower.

the frist they wont $8,500 and the other $9,999. I haven't looked at them yet, but want to check with you guys first to see what I should be looking at...

thanks...

Also what kinda MPG can I expect.... I was liking the idel of the v8 since they would be stronger eninge (is it a 302) and should be easer to work on etc... but not sure how much gas she would use...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome to the site! Well If it was me, I would go with the 98 because of the following. The rear lift Gate is alot better quality then the 95 to 97 lift gates. The Eddie Bauer will also be a little bit more fancier then the 97. If your looking for Show and no go, go with the 98. In 98 they improved the V6 engines also

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'd go with the EB and see if you can talk them down on price. I get 15-16mpg city/19-20hwy. It's really about the same with a 6 or 8. Just keep it tuned up and you should be OK.

There really aren't any more or less issues with Explorers than there are with any other vehicles. Some folks have tranny problems but others go 200,000 miles without any. The trannys in the V8's are much better than the ones in the V6's, however.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Whatever you do, stick with a V8 Explorer. You will thank yourself a million times over once you do. Reason being as Eric (WilsonTheDog) pointed out - the V8 engine and Tranny is a LOT more stable, powerful, and RELIABLE than the V6 engine and tranny.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now but I'm a little concerned about the mileage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how about performance mods, I see you can gat MAC intake for the 5.0 but what about the v6.... I was deffenly going to see if they would dropped the by $1000.00 I hope... when I go and look.... I just want to make sure I get something that we last and not cost me an arm and a leg in repair bills. I usally do all my on repairs, but I haven't had any thing this new... And my wife will mostly be driving it to take the kids to school and stuff, it would be our only family car since I cant put more the 2 in my Dodge ram 50 pickup... an this will be replacing our very small Dodge Sprit with 180k on it... I'm also afaid of the gas cost increase this will cause... but I do favor the v8 but just not sure....like I said I want something that will casue less problems... but I also whould like to put on the performance exhaust (love to hear the motor rumble) but do they have this for the v6 as well????

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'd go with the v8, both of them are pretty high mileage, but from what I hear the v8 ages alot better. Plus all the "show" extras can be added later and easier than trying to get a v8 swap going.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If the V8 as been taken care of, 111K is just breaking in. If you are going to want any kind of modifications later, I would definitely stick with the V8.

Gas mileage between the two is not going to be a factor for you, because they will both get about the same.

Eddie Bauer means nothing to me. All it does is put someone's name on a pinstripe and seat monogram ,whom I've never met, for a few dollars more. You do not get anything special (My Opinion Guys) out of an E.B. package besides a larger price.

As far as the tailgate goes - the largest difference is if you want the license plate on the bumper (95-97), or in the tailgate (98+). There is really no other functionality difference in them.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
how ?about performance mods, I see you can gat MAC intake for the 5.0 but what about the v6.... ? I was deffenly going to see if they would dropped the by $1000.00 I hope... ?when I go and look.... ?I just want to make sure I get something that we last and not cost me an arm and a leg in repair bills. ?I usally do all my on repairs, but I haven't had any thing this new... ?And my wife will mostly be driving it to take the kids to school and stuff, it would be our only family car since I cant put more the 2 in my Dodge ram 50 pickup... ?an this will be replacing our very small Dodge Sprit with 180k on it... I'm also afaid of the gas cost increase this will cause... ?but I do favor the v8 but just not sure....like I said I want something that will casue less problems... but I also whould like to put on the performance exhaust (love to hear the motor rumble) but do they have this for the v6 as well????

Yes there are a lot of V6 performance upgrades (Check out www.explorerexpress.com right now if you haven't already), but the bottomline is that for every modification you do to a V6, you can do the same to a V8 and get a LOT more power out of it, and also the V8 in general has a ton more upgrades out there. Everything with the V6 isn't what I would call "leftovers", but at the same rate its not manufacturers number one priority.

You can get a Flowmaster 50 exhaust done (which I do) and it sounds just like a V8 in many ways, but there is nothing like a true V8 exhaust, even better a dual exhaust. Anything you can think of is basically made for the Explorer 5.0 as it shares a lot of its roots with the Mustang 5.0.

As far as reliability and not wanting to have to spend an arm and a leg, obviously use some common sense but I would definitely go with the V8. They are just tried-and-proven to be more reliable, powerful, and stable than the V6. Unfortunately the V6 trannys and even the engines from 95-01 are just not really the best. If you take super good care of them from the get-go you may never have a problem (like me) but otherwise you are screwed taking over the responsibility of someone else's mistreatment. Because you are looking at two which both have high mileage you don't have the first scenario as an option.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Why don't you figure out how much money you've got to spend, then go out and look around. See what the best, lowest mileage, best cared for truck is that you can afford? Whether you decide you want a V-8 or V-6, there are a buttload of Explorers out there (after all, its the best selling SUV 14 years running), so don't limit yourself to the first two you look at.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Why don't you figure out how much money you've got to spend, then go out and look around. See what the best, lowest mileage, best cared for truck is that you can afford? ?Whether you decide you want a V-8 or V-6, there are a buttload of Explorers out there (after all, its the best selling SUV 14 years running), so don't limit yourself to the first two you look at.
:word:

Explorers are dime a dozen. Don't stick with just those two and feel those are your only options. Don't compromise for something you don't feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh no, I have some other I want to go look at, I little cheaper with less miles, there just a little farther, I'm going to look at this first since it's close, but the other are only v6's....

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Buy a Yugo. :pimpride:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
My v6 has held up pretty well but the tranny had to be rebuilt at 145k. I get about 17-19 mpg and around 20-22 on highway. Right now the x has 179k but of course shows its age whether its a little rust or noises that I've never heard. Overall, we've owned it since it had 51k and it appears it was a great investment.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
We've had a '92 XLT, '95 XLT, and now a '03 Sport XLT in the family. All have been/are great vehicles!! They seem to be the perfect size and have plenty of power.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did all the v8's have the all wheel drive??? If so that would really kill gas Mileage right? Also the would mean that something could go wrong sooner since it on all the time, and when it goes, your screw, unlike if you could turn off the 4wd... am I correct??? I rather not have the 4x4, since it would cost more to fix stuff, but everyone I see in the autotrader has 4x4....

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No, I don't have it. AWD will cut down on mileage and you really don't need 4X4 unless you live in a climate that would require it or if you like offroading.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My wife drove a V-8 AWD Mountaineer for a year. We used to "joke" that there must have been a pinhole leak in the fuel tank, because no matter what you did, it was always empty. In local driving, it usually got around 12 mpg. Not good with the price of gas looking like it is now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts