Explorer Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a 93 explorer w/184,000 miles on it and we just started having a problem when i was going up hill the cars temp gauge started to cycle up and down (go from cold to over heat ) rapidly and it sputters now like its running on 5 cylinders...B4 i think about replacing the engine do you think i just blew a head gasket ? Also who has the best price on a reman motor...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I messed up in the post above ..the explorer idles like it is on 5 cylinders but drives fine ..its only recently that it started to cycle up and down....

·
Registered
391 Posts
sounds like you need a new thermostat.=, b/c if it is stuck closed, it will cause your engine to run hotter, which could eventually cause overheating.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I agree with Ryan a thermostat is about a $20.- fix if you do it yourself also flush the radiator. That should take care of the overheating.

Things to look for if engine is blown;

-Oil in radiator and or reservoir

-water in oil pan

-steam coming out of exhaust

-excessive loss of oil each week

-no pressure or loss of pressure in a cylinder

When was the last time the plugs, wires, egr valve were changed?

Good luck

·
Registered
384 Posts
I say check the above things to see if it remedies your problem if you are going with a new engine I say build your own with a little bit more performance in it and run that one to the end while building the new one. That is my plan once I hit the US again I will keep my X til the wheels fall off it or are knocked off by another car. Might check ebay or could always go for the V-8 swap if your going to be spending mad cash on it anyway. A lot of things to look at read Mountaineer's post and check all those things before you start thinking about doing anything my X has a 176,000 miles on it and does not miss a tick doesn't use a drop of oil and the compression is still right up there as if it were a new engine. I have to say probably one of Ford's better designs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts