Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out over lunch to drop off some dry cleaning, and get the truck washed, since its up to a balmy 46 degrees today. A Mustang GT convertible goes by, and it hits me - Why doesn't Ford build us a nice "Explorer GT". Heck, they've already got most of the pieces.

My Preliminary Specs, based on the current style X:

2005 Model year - they need a little time to pull it all together.

DOHC 4.6L V-8 - think Aviator, but massage it a little - larger MAF, open up the intake, loosen up the exhaust, let it breathe - should be pretty easy to get 350 hp out of it.

Firm up the shift points on the transmission.

Being a Northerner, I'd make it a street-biased AWD, but I could be flexible on that.

18" Chrome Wheels, same as the '05 Mustang, with some nice 275/45/18 street rubber.

Lowered suspension - not slammed, maybe 2", but do it right.

Body Work - Body color mesh grille, new front bumper cover - smooth it out, lose the fake grilles around the fog lights, smaller projector style fogs flush with the bumper, maybe a little bit of an air dam. Xenon headlights. Some simple, clean side skirts that blend into a deeper rear fascia. A couple of new creases down the hood that will help integrate a hood scoop, which maybe could be actually functional. Body color mirrors. No roof rack. One simple "GT" badge on each front fender.

Interior - Recaro style sport seats front and rear - leather with suede inserts so you don't slide around. White face guages. Perforated leather steering wheel rim. Brushed aluminum trim - center stack, console, door handles, etc. Auxiliary guage panel at the base of the center stack. Mach 600 audio with a decent sub, component speakers.

Available colors: Black, Silver Frost, Toreador Red. Midnight Gray Leather with contrasting gray suede inserts.

Nothing outrageous or over the top - something they could really build and people would really buy. I know I would. They can build a Lightning, why not this?

What would you guys add, or do different?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'd add a 5.0 V8 instead of the 4.6 but since they aren't using them anymore, I guess that would be out.

The thing is, I could never see Ford doing such a thing because they don't want people treating SUV's as sports cars, which they aren't. They have the philosophy that if you want a sports car, buy a Mustang. If you think about it, there really aren't any performance oriented SUV's that come off of the showroom floor. You could say the Porsche Cayenne and the like but lets face it, they're cars, not SUV's.

Would I like to see an X GT? Of course and I'd want pretty much everything you've said, jgt. I just don't think it'll ever happen.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How bout the cyclone, or typhoon, or whatever storm name that GM used on that run of wickedly fast POS Blazers?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd add a 5.0 V8 instead of the 4.6 but since they aren't using them anymore, I guess that would be out. ?

The thing is, I could never see Ford doing such a thing because they don't want people treating SUV's as sports cars, which they aren't. They have the philosophy that if you want a sports car, buy a Mustang. If you think about it, there really aren't any performance oriented SUV's that come off of the showroom floor. You could say the Porsche Cayenne and the like but lets face it, they're cars, not SUV's.

Would I like to see an X GT? Of course and I'd want pretty much everything you've said, jgt. I just don't think it'll ever happen.

Just curious, why would you prefer a 5.0?

Unfortunately, no matter who has tried it before, or all the Ford Lightning or Dodge Ram SRT-10 trucks that get built, Ford would never dare do anything like this with anything called an Explorer. Can you imagine what would happen the first time some irresponsible driver (note that I didn't say "kid") rolled one?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's true, I forgot about those but they haven't made those in years which says something about the popularity of such vehicles. I just think that, even though ford is the #1 SUV producer and even though they have the SVT, I don't think they look at SUVs like that. Besides, with Limiteds in the $40,000 range already, what would an Explorer GT cost, I wonder?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I prefer the 5.0 because it has a much higher performance ceiling than the 4.6. Don't get me wrong, the 4.6 is a good engine but the 5.0s can go much further.

Look at Troll, for example. OK, that's probably a bad example because his engine has about as much in common with mine as a Lamborghini does with a minivan, but he's got what, something like 700hp in his?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll just wait for another bargain Saleen XP-8 to show up on ebay

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, that dude got an unbelievable deal on that XP8. I sat there one night thinking to myself "This guy paid $14,500 for that and I paid $16,500 for mine." Granted, I got mine a couple of years ago and $16,500 was actually a great price at the time but, STILL. 8O

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
A Mustang GT convertible goes by, and it hits me -
I read that initially as that you just got in an accident! I was like **** NO! LOL

Anyway, if Ford ever produced this, this would be exactly what I want except obviously a different "normal" color, and different styled rear taillights. Those just aren't my taste but overall they aren't quite so bad.

This is the Ford Explorer Urban concept, btw. You can see the rest @ ExplorerStreet.com under "Concept vehicles"

·
Registered
384 Posts
My god man you hit it right on the head, now all you need to do is email Ford's SVT section and tell them to get the ball rolling on a limited production run of say 5000. Let me say this I have emailed a few dozen times and never gotten a reply. So good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer the 5.0 because it has a much higher performance ceiling than the 4.6. Don't get me wrong, the 4.6 is a good engine but the 5.0s can go much further.

I hadn't really thought about the "extremes" of the performance envelope. I was more thinking in terms of "feasible production from an OEM, that won't break all the time". I don't have any idea what the limitations of the "modular" engines might be. It does seem like as time goes on, and cost is a big concern, and as engineers don't build in as much "reserve capacity", the opportunity to really kick things up ten notches goes away. They are quoting 500 hp out of a supercharged 5.4L in the new "GT40", oh I mean "GT". That would be enough in an Explorer

You're right, though, there have been some incredible 302/5.0 engines over the years.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, Rob, thats exactly it!

Only not in baby-puke green. And if it were me, I might not emphasize the lower grille opening quite so much.

Where do we sign up?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, I realized after I typed that that you meant using what's available today. Sure, the 4.6 would be just fine, as long as they beef it up some or you'd end up paying a lot more for what amounts to a base model with a few add ons, AKA, the S10 Extreme.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's the problem with those concept vehicles: the ugly colors. I THINK I like it but I would be able to tell a little better were it a real world color.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Aviator's DOHC version of the 4.6L is rated at 302 hp. Thats safe, quiet, inoffensive Lincoln-grade power. Let's say you work on the heads a little bit, open up the intake with a bigger MAF and maybe a ram-air hood, some decent exhaust mods (headers?, high-flow cats, Mustang GT mufflers). I bet they could get 350 hp out of it without breaking a sweat.

I'm not greedy. Much.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK

One of you Photoshop experts (disqualifies me right away) needs to merge this "Urban Concept" Explorer with Explorer Express' silver 2002, and we've got it whipped. Just send the result off to Ford, and have them call us when its ready.

·
Registered
391 Posts
sorry, I don't like the idea of an Explorer GT, esp. this new gen. (sorry no offense but..) I don't like the new styling of them, they're too big.... now, what WOULD Be cool is an 03 Explorer Sport GT or something, not so big, two door, more sporty. Just my $.02 though.

G

·
I've loved the green one above. I'd take it as is with a supercharged 4.6. I guess the chances of a high performance Explorer coming out is just as good as an off road Explorer.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
sorry, I don't like the idea of an Explorer GT, esp. this new gen. (sorry no offense but..) I don't like the new styling of them, they're too big.... now, what WOULD Be cool is an 03 Explorer Sport GT or something, not so big, two door, more sporty. ?Just my $.02 though. ?
That's already been done!

I mean seriously, I don't know what else SVT would do to an 01-03 Explorer Sport othen that pretty much what Matt did. It's definitely in the margin of "SVT design" and performance.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry, I don't like the idea of an Explorer GT, esp. this new gen. (sorry no offense but..) I don't like the new styling of them, they're too big.... now, what WOULD Be cool is an 03 Explorer Sport GT or something, not so big, two door, more sporty. ?Just my $.02 though. ?

Wouldn't need to photoshop that. Just send them over to BlackMagic's house. His is a beauty.

You're right, a 2 door might make sense. But aren't they going out of production after the "2003" model year, which they seem to still be selling?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts