Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lower my X at least 2" front and back. Where can I get the blocks for the rear? I know I have to crank my torsoin bars down in the front. To do that, do I loosen or tighten the bolts? Oh, and it's the bolts located a couple of feet back from the front wheels, right? Also, will I need a camber kit?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Blocks can be bought at most auto part stores(Discount Auto Parts, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc). You loosen the bolts to lower the truck. Just follow that long rod that is connected to the lower control arm back. The bolt that is vertical is the adjuster bolt. Lowering two inches will call for the camber kit.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Question, do you think that a 1" drop will require a camber kit? It may not even be 1" in the front because I'm lowering the rear 1" and I'm just going to make it level. The rear is a bit higher than the front now so I may only need to turn it down a half inch or so in the front.

What do you think?

(BTW, don't tell me I should go lower cause I'm not. I like my ride height and my comfortable ride. I'm just looking to improve handling a bit and lose some of the wheel gap.)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I've been told a drop of anything more than half an inch will require an alignment and camber adjustment. Anything you do to the rear will not require an alignment or camber adjustment.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's why I'm asking, because I'm about to get an alignment so I'm thinking about doing the drop now. Well, maybe I'll try it and see what happens with the alignment.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Whatever you do, get an alignment ASAP once you drop.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yep, Once you lower your ride you will need to get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, get it aligned, Rob do you think he gets the idea?
:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, I know I need an alignment after a drop. I dropped my S10 back in the day and ruined the tires in a matter of a month. I didn't care since I was replacing them anyway but that told me all I needed to know about lowering and alignments.

My Ranger I only dropped the rear to level it out so I didn't need an alignment with that. It was a 4X4 and I got tired of riding around those New Jersey streets in a lowered vehicle after dropping that S10.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anything close to a 1' inch drop will usually require a camber adjustment. Not every Explorer will get the same results. You should plan on getting the camber adjusters anyway.

By the way, make sure you have the alignment done after you drop it.........duh!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm a new member to what looks like a great Explorer community. I want to follow up on BCPower's initial question.

I too have a 99 sport and I've been seriously wanting to lower it now. The rear is still at stock height. I had the front lowered 1" about a month ago from a custom truck center that one of the Ford dealerships have.

I wanted to go lower than 1 inch when I took it to them but their technician said that a 1" drop is all they can go. They adjusted the cambers and aligned it also.

Well, I always end up looking at it now and I still want it a little lower. There's still 4" of gap space in the front and the back, I've tried to take it back to the custom truck place at the ford dealer but they won't lower it more, tried a few other truck places and they mostly tell me the same thing, that I either need a camber kit after a 2" drop or I need torsion keys. Screw that.

I've read a lot of people lowered their rides themselves on here, so I'm thinking I have no choice but to do it myself as no place wants to do it.

Ok, so my question...I turn the torsion bolts myself to get a 2" drop, go to a auto parts store and buy 2" blocks, so after that, do I need a camber kit or do I need to adjust the cambers myself or can I just get an alignment? I can't find any place that sells camber kits for 99 explorer other than EE but that's for a 1 3/8" drop.

Sorry it's a long questions guys, I'm just trying to be as descriptive as possible the 1st time around. Thanks for any info.

And if anybody can answer my questions asap, that would be great cuz I wanna do this asap. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
There are various places that sell the camber adjusters, I know Napa sells them. First take a look at the ones that truck center put on, they may have put them on already(eccentric adjusters).

If not, they you just gotta buy them. Do what you have planned, decided wether you want to install the adjusters yourself, or hand them over to the shop at the time of the alignment(probably extra installation charge). And you're done.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Most alignment shops will install the camber adjusters, they need to check the alignment to see if they need the adjusters or if there is enough adjustment in the suspension without them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thnx for some of the answers thus far! Really helps a great deal.

k, man my mind is like a sponge right now and I'm soaking all this in. Also, the lowering kit EE has for the 2 doors is only for lowering the front, is it possible to order the lowering kit for the 4 door and use those blocks on a 2 door?

I don't quite understand EE's instructions on how to lower the rear on a 2 door by relocating the spacers. And mostly the people I hear that have 2 doors use lowering blocks instead of relocating the spacers to lower the back, is there anything wrong with EE's method of lowering the rear on a 2 door.

Thnx again, all info is greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts