Explorer Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok right now my x is running like crap once again, the check engine lite came on and their is no place around here to read the code for me, the ford dealer will do it for 80 bucks, i think not, i'm about to go get my own. Anyway, i'm thinking the o2 sensor(s) might be going because it threw a check engine, and i have a unburnt gas smell coming from the exausht, and their is hesitation and rough idle. If anyone knows the syptoms of the o2 sensor hit me up or if u got any comments my ears are open. Also, if u know of a good place to read the codes or a good place to buy the code readers post it. Thank u in advanced...peace

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had that same problem in my 96, my engine light came on so i went to Auto Zone and theyll check your computer for FREE, so I took out my 00 sensor and cleaned it put it back in.... my light then went off. I drove it for about a week or so then it came back on... then I knew it had to be the 02 sensor, changed it and the light never came back on...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea mines been doing this for about a year, it'll come on and then go off....so thats y i'm thinking its an o2 sensor....thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no u really can't, the ford dealership wanted me to get a diganostics done on it i was like screw u i'm not paying 80 bucks for that...lol. Also, how much do o2 sensors normaly go for?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol....yea the hardest thing for me right now is going to autozone, the closest is 23 miles from me...lol...but i'll go get my code read and i'll post it up here for u guyz...thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, look at it this way: you go to Autozone, if it's a bad O2 sensor you replace it while you're there, you save $40 bucks or so, and you don't have to mess with the Ford dealer. Problem solved.

Umm, I'm not sure how many oxygen sensors there might be, though. I seem to remember that there's more than one. Someone else on here may know more about that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i believe there are 3 different ocygen sensors, i may be wrong on that someone back me up...plz?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
3 sounds about right for a 96 at least, with two cats. One in the engine, One right before the cats, and one after. Unless there is another hidden somewhere.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The one that i changed was right before the cat, it was right under the drivers door, I didnt check any of the others, but the one I changed did the job...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts