Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Made horrible discovery today that my 2018 Limited (so I think rear wheel drive unless you change the setting) , a lease with factory tires, Stinks in snow.
If you have a 2021 or 22 Explorer, how have you found it to be in wet snow on unplowed, winding roads? If it is good in those conditions, do you have factory tires or did you put special tires on it?? if so what kind of tires? Do you have to put it in low gear etc or does it just go in the snow without issues? (the 2018 had issues....and I have driven in lots of snow until the last couple of years, on the same roads, so I think it was the car!)

I had to make emergency vet run this morning in about 4 inches of slushy stuff on admittedly nasty winding roads in a town on Long Island where we don't get plowed (Town of Brookhaven no surprise to any locals on this forum!). I have not had to drive this vehicle in these conditions before but it did not feel like it had much traction. I had to put it in Cactus/ sand mode to get it out of driveway and onto main road. Then it felt like it was in first gear and kids in Subarus were racing around so I had to stop and put it in the snow/ice mode but it still felt squirrelly so I went VERY slowly. (Before this I did have Subarus and they don't drive any differently in snow than they do on the showroom floor, they go up icebergs, BUT the latest one was uncomfortable and I could not see out of it and I hated it so I went back to a Ford, I also had for many years a 1996 Explorer which got going in snow....). Love the Explorer otherwise BUT have to be able sometimes to go thru snow.

I have lived in northern Mass and "upstate" NY and driven in VT in winter in snowstorms, so I am comfortable driving in snow and know what to do, but I felt like this 2018 Explorer did not have a good grip on the road. Lease up in June. Not sure now I want another Explorer! Also thinking F-150 (and I can put a plow on it) or Toyota 4Runner. (Also thinking Florida!!) I also tested Jeeps but don't like them either. I also had a lovely 2008 Taurus and it stank in snow til my mechanic put Blizzaks on it and then it went up icy hills in Vermont!

So I am wondering if I lease another Explorer should I try to order it with better all season tires, or have mechanic just put winter tires on it?? or this generation better in the snow?

·
Registered
4 Posts
well i just picked up my 2021 xlt with factory tires and I put it in slippery mode and it rides very true doesn't deviate and I tend to find myself going faster than I was used to in my 2018 escape titanium

1 - 3 of 3 Posts