Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a catchy thread name, but what I really want to know is how far is your Explorer dropped? I still have yet to lower mine, I'm holding out for the X-Spec suspension. Want to lower it the right way and with all the proper components.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here.

Cool man
How close are you to buying it? It's going to be a few months here. I wouldnt be able to have it installed anyway until Spring (away at college) so its pointless to buy it sooner anyway.

I'm going to lower the front all the way (completely remove torsion bolts) and if I need to lower the rear an inch or so more then I will do that as well. But with the Sport's tendancy to sag in the rear I may not even have/want to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Soon, Very soon. Just don't wanna mess up the ride quality. I need wheels first, should be getting those within a month or two.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, what are you looking to get? Yeah I just got Cobra R's, waiting until Spring to put them on along with the X-Spec suspension kit.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
i just looked at that x-spec suspension kit, and its very interesting, i might just pick that up when i get the money, how much do yall think the install of something like that might be

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Everything in the xspec suspension can be easily installed by yourself and a pair of hands. Couple of bolts here, couple of nuts there, no big deal really. I got the sway bars, and I highly recommend them. I'm sure a shop could install it in two hours or less, but that's probably the minimun they'll charge.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
yea im def mechanically stupid, and would definitely screw sumthin up, plus id rather have the guarantee of a professional install

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I'm lowered all the way in the front (3") and bout 2" in rear, which = out to be 3" because of butt sag... but yah my ride sucks, but its the price ya pay. I'm bout to replace several suspension parts within the month. Then I'll be all fixed up!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Just for the info I'm down 2" in the front and 1" in the rear. This gave me a bit of a rake (wanted this) and was actually all the lower the front would go. I am AWD and really wouldn't want it any lower than this for my needs and useage of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
eXplorerchic:

Are you 2wd?, because I don't think that I could lower 3"with 4wd. Darn CV's!

na I'm 4wd 3" with no problems

Just had to replace my upper and lower ball joints (squeeking) and get some new shocks

·
Registered
7,812 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
na I'm 4wd 3" with no problems

Just had to replace my upper and lower ball joints (squeeking) and get some new shocks

I think that I will only go down 2" because I still have to clear snow drifts in the driveway

If I buy an EE airdam it will have to come off in the winter because of the snowplow effect.

Did the ball joints fail due to the lowering?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Once I removed the torsion bolts, I was riding on the bump stops, not a pleasant ride let me tell you, nor safe!

I agree with 98X50,

-I also lowered mine only 2"

-It required ratchet & measuring stick = 30min in front

-replaced cambers, required ratchet & tire removal = about 30min per wheel

-torsion bar, required ratchet and easier with tire removal = 30min

-shocks =30min

-on the back 1" block w/ 1/2 plate I made myself = about 1 hour

You can do this in segments over a lunch break but once you lower the front insure you already have an appointment to get the front end aligned!

I replaced the rear shocks with Monroe air,

Two Reasons: 1)when I go on trips with 3 people in the back seat & rear cargo area loaded with suit cases, and a cargo box bolted to the roof rack also loaded to the gills. I found that the rear of my ride was slamming in the bump stops on any irregularity in the road thus air shocks, add a little air when I need it & problem is resolved.

2) second reason the Edelbrocks were pieces of ****.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I lowered mine like 2-3 in the front and left the back stock for now, like 98X50 i too like having a little rake i thing it makes it look meaner

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy crap. Who's Explorer is that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts