Explorer Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious, i don't feel all that secure when i drive in the snow, but i have a serious case of mustangitis. Over the last ten years with the mustang i've had to be supercareful in the rain, and avoid snow at all costs. Traction with the way it's setup is at a minimum. I've had a few close calls in the mustang, where i felt lucky to of not lost the car.

I cannot seem to set my mind to understand i also have an awd vehicle, i cannot loosen up in the snow or in the rain for that matter. I still drive in the snow like a little old lady. With the fear of getting sideways.

So who rips it up in the snow?

Say for example there's 2 inches on the ground, does anyone drive the speedlimit? I usually stay way under.

I'm thinking maybe i meet rob at the firehouse parking lot, and mess around a little, like doing donuts, e-brake locks, next time it snows.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Keep in mind your tires aren't made for any sort of snow on your XP8. But I again depending on the conditions, if its not icy out and is just fresh snow, I'll go the speed limit, for the most part. But around turns, curves and bends...I go about 20 max.

Last year when my X was in the body shop I was driving my dad's 5.0 (man I loved that V8) everyday and one day almost a year ago in this huge parking lot in Manalapan I did so many donuts and skids, it was mostly just ice so it was a little...scary at times. Came close to hitting a pole once and that freaked me out enough to just leave. :doh:

But yeah Joe next time we get any real snow amounts, we'll have to meet up, plenty of room to screw around in. Just hope the Jackson cops don't get pissed off, they can be real a$$holes.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Oh, I thought I'd add this too. During the blizzard we had last year Joe, I was still driving my dad's 5.0. I was driving really fast in the Johnson Park parking lot, and slid right into this HUGE snow bank. SUCKED ASS because I had no shovels, so I walked up the fire deptartment and got some shovels to dig my way out. It took me at least an hour to get it all out. I was REALLY stuck. I was by myself so it took even longer.

I forget what it was, but I'm positive I screwed something up pretty bad in his Explorer too...the wheels were like smoking but the tires weren't spinning at all, and there was some problem with his brakes. Anyway my dad didn't know about it, and he noticed it, brought it to the Ford dealer and thank God it was all replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I'm thinking maybe i meet rob at the firehouse parking lot, and mess around a little, like doing donuts, e-brake locks, next time it snows.

Um. . .e-brake turns in an AWD vehicle? Won't that f-up the AWD system since the e-brake locks only the rear wheels?

·
Registered
39 Posts
i love drifting in the snow with my awd. we got about 2 feet in a few days last week, and itz been coming down continuously every day. I flipped my last explorer because of the snow, but i dont think that scares me from "ripping" it up in the snow. my friend tells me that my truck drifts less than his 2000 ranger even in 4low. it might be my new bridgestone revos. i think you should get a set of stock 15 or 16 inch rims with some good tires for teh snow. quite fun doing stationary donuts in parking lots.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[..]

Um. . .e-brake turns in an AWD vehicle? ?Won't that f-up the AWD system since the e-brake locks only the rear wheels?

Spt, that shouldn't affect it, if your foot is not on the gas, i believe the front wheels don't have much of a connection to the turning drivetrain. Besides awd 4r70w's have about a 2200 stall converter, meaning you can hold your foot on the gas and brake and 2200 is where the rpms will max out at.

It's kind of like when you lock the brakes up in a turn in the snow, you'll keep going strait, until you give it some gas, then it will turn where you want it to go.

I have a few friends that are into AWD cars, and they theorize that if you get out of shape, you need to keep your foot into the gas, so the front wheel will kinda of drag you in the direction you are pointed.

G

·
[..]

I have a few friends that are into AWD cars, and they theorize that if you get out of shape, you need to keep your foot into the gas, so the front wheel will kinda of drag you in the direction you are pointed.

thats not a bad theory, but i don't have AWD....
....got the semi(aka. control trac)

·
Registered
566 Posts
The only snow that I've drivin through was when I was living in Oregon, I drove through the Willamette Pass, which you end up going through some mountains. I encountered some heavy snow and I felt pretty good with the handeling of the X. I have some all-terain tires on, so that could have helped the traction.

I've always been pretty confident in driving in snow. I got my license while living in Michigan, I drove a '78 BMW 320i, I had to pack 100lbs of sand in the truck to keep traction. I got a real lesson in driving in snow from living out there for 4 years.

·
Registered
543 Posts
In Nebraska we get snow all the time and when I drive in the snow I am not scared at all because I got my AWD and my all-terrain tires. So it keeps me in place. So I go the speed limit and maybe sometimes even over the limit! It is fun up here in NE when it snows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts