Explorer Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so you have realized that there is no dipstick and have heard that the 3rd gen explorers have "sealed trannies". well thats true but sealed doesnt mean sealed it just means Idiot proof. being that most people dont know how to check the fluid level ina trans anyway(engine hot and running with the shifter in neurtral(most of the time)) ford decided to not give people the chance to add the wrong fluid.

There are those of you out there that are skilled enough to preform this task but its not a clean one in any way.

First drive the truck around for 20 min or so to get the trans up to operating temp. then chock the wheels and set it in neutral. then grab a drain pan and ratchet with a t-30 torx bit socket. then crawl under the truck(IT MUST BE LEVEL) and with the drain pan under the trans remove the bolt out of the center of the drain plug, do not remove the whole plug just the part the torx socket will fit in, some fluid will run out and it will be HOT. if the trans is overfilled it will continue to run out, if in is low it will not drip at all, a properly filled trans should slowly drip out. if you have to add some you will have to squirt it up into the hole. its a PITA but this is THE ONLY way to do this correctly,

if the truck is not level or at operating temprature you will get the wrong fluid level.

The Correct fluid type is MERCON V(mercon 5)

i dont have any pictures becauise i dont own a 3rd gen explorer, if some one can take a picture of their trans pan i can modify to help the explanation

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a tidbit I thought I'd share, Ford has their special tool which is a nipple that goes in where the torx plug comes out to fill the trans with. It happens to be the exact size and threads as the extension pipe that comes with most grease guns. Rather than buy one check your toolbox first as it seems most folks don't even use the extension tube anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any experience with transmission flushes, should I trust the dealer, should I not change the fluid if the vehicle has more than 110K miles?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Checking the transmission fluid level

Does the engine need to be running when checking the transmission fluid level?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts