Explorer Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, I am new to this.
I have a 2013 ford explorer that I drive mostly on non illuminated roads.
so at Night illumination is crucial.
I dont find my sotck lights good, so I will like to improve them, any suggestion for off road use. led bulbs?, or any solutions?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If the lens plastic has hazed (no longer crystal clear) from sun exposure, polish them clear again. There are kits for the purpose but even regular off the shelf plastic polish, brasso metal polish, or even toothpaste (with a lot more elbow grease, work to do so) will work.

Otherwise, in stock form they are bright enough. You could look into the aftermarket incandescent (halogen) bulbs such as GE Nighthawk but try to avoid the blue tinted bulbs as they create more glare than perception, trick the eye into thinking they're better but really do not improve night driving vision.

LED bulbs are even worse at that and many result in an illegal blinding light beam when used in reflectors designed for halogen bulbs. Light bars are also illegal for on-road use but is what I'd get for off-road use. There are many sizes and quality levels available.

You might be able to buy the OEM HID housings and bulbs (that come stock from the factory on certain Explorers) and fit them in but I imagine they are expensive.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
^ Xenon HID bulbs will not provide the correct beam pattern in the existing reflector housings. An entire HID lens/reflector/bulb matched-set replacement could work well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The stock halogen headlights in the 2013 and same in my 2014 are just bad. The headlight uses one bulb for both low beam and high beam. I have tried various bulbs with little to no improvement. I have tried different headlight adjustments with no improvement. At night with wet roads I can barely tell that my headlights are on. Driving in the mountains if I turn on the high beams there is good light on the road and way up the canyon walls. Upgrading to HID if possible would be cost prohibitive. My lens are crystal clear.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
^ I have those bulbs. They work fine. If there are no other vehicles around to blind, absolutely turn your high beams on. It's what they're there for. If there are other vehicles around you should be able to see by the one in front of you.

There is nothing wrong with the stock headlights, but possibly yours have hazed from sunlight exposure on the lens which turned hazy? Anything with a polycarbonate lens will need refinished after some sun exposure.

If you are willing to live with shorter bulb life you can get brighter with shorter lifespans, but I've never felt the need on my '14.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi to all, I am new to this.
I have a 2013 ford explorer that I drive mostly on non illuminated roads.
so at Night illumination is crucial.
I dont find my sotck lights good, so I will like to improve them, any suggestion for off road use. led bulbs?, or any solutions?
Thanks
Hi I have a 2011 explorer and I put hid lights in it because it has the little round glass lenses. They work great

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just came upon this thread looking for insights about lights since I'm planning to replace mine with new LED lights. I'm almost done with my installation and adjustment of black rock wheels so I have ample time to look for lights. I noticed that my lights had hazed over the years and I want something that is highly effective on any weather. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts