Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any good How-tos on a V8 swap on 2nd gens ?? I wanted to look into moving over to the dark side before i dump mad loot in the OHV.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Oh lord - here we go....

He doesn't even have his Eaton yet, and he's already got the bug...

Your best bet is to find a wrecked X with a 302 and gut it. If not, here's a starter list because I know I'll forget things and have to add them later:

- 302 engine

- Tranny

- Explorer water pump and timing cover

- Explorer accessory brackets

- Explorer wiring harness

- Explorer V8 or Mustang PCM

- Tranny electronics for the PCM (unless you go 5 speed, then you have to use a Mustang PCM)

- Motor mounts, etc

- 302 upper/lower intake and throttle body

- and some other things I'm forgetting...

You are better finding a wrecked Explorer and gutting it. Then buy the aftermarket parts for the engine and install them while doing the swap (cam, injectors, mass air, etc, etc)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I really don't know what a wrecked X would run you. If you go for all the parts separate - you are going to be pushing $5000 - and that is if you have some good connections...

The crate engine I have in the basement retails for $3195.00 (M-6007-XE3). It came with basically the Explorer setup, except is has the E303 cam already in it. I paid $1900 and change for it.

So right there you are at $2000 - thats before the tranny, wiring harnesses, upper and lower intake, throttle body, mass air, engine mounts, PCM, accessory brackets, alternator, etc, etc...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
And I forgot something -

$3495 for the Explorer Express supercharger kit....

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man this will be more than I expected ... Will you be selling the 5.0 in your truck now once you swap out ?? If so how much ??
:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The new crate engine is for when this one dies. I made the mistake of not buyuing a complete Explorer engine when Ford was selling them for $2600.
And when I say complete - they were complete - all the way down to having the intakes on, headers on, and spark plugs and wires on connected...

I bought this one in case they decide to stop selling it. I doubt you would want it after that...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
So Cobra, you used to be a V6?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alrighty .. well I was quoted somewhere under 1K for sure ... they said 2-300$ for a junkyard 5.0, wiring harness from explorer 2-250$, accesories 300-400$, and he said the stock tranny should bolt up ... But I guess he was wrong! I would also be doing all the labor myself so thats not an issue ...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
If you're really smart, you'll forget about swapping in an Explorer 5.0 and instead, get a Mustang 5.0. May I heed you take the advice of Joe (2000XP8), who has had Mustangs and followed the Mustang performance world for over a decade:

I look at it this way, you can probably get a complete mustang engine that has all the accessories on it for about 500 bucks, it will slip in, just as easy as an explorer 5.0 except the explorer 5.0 complete with all accessory's will probably cost about 1200+. ?

The x 5.0 probably takes up more room than the mustang 5.0, i'm pretty sure the accesory's stick out further foward. ?I don't know the ins and outs of the swap ?but motorwise, they are near exact. ?I also don't like the crappy overrated gt40p heads and the crummy ugly explorer 5.0 intake. ? People will say they are great on a mustang for mods, but they are not worth the time or the money IMO and most other non beginners.

Plus you truck is probably alot lighter than mine, and 2wd can be used, so you'll have the potential to have quite the fast explorer.

Joe

Note that this was in regards to him explaining to me in a PM the pros/cons over swapping in a 5.0 Explorer vs 5.0 Mustang engine.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see, well I ment to say Junkyard 5.0 .. so any 5.0 will do! Just as long as it fits and the cheaper the better, as long as its done right of course!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Then you'd be much smarter and better off to go with a Mustang 5.0. I really am going to be doing this sometime soon, hopefully by Summer '05.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrighty ... Im so indecisive, there are so many choices that are close (moneywise) but I guess Ill just see how things come ...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
So Cobra, you used to be a V6?

No. I have always been a V8. I have bene through the engine swap before though - I put a 302 in an 89 Mazda B2200. But it was a built from scratch engine...

Yes, you could do a junkyard swap a lot cheaper than going through the new parts. I have never been one to do that because if I am going to go through this much trouble, I am going to use new parts that I know will last for a while. If I did the junkyard way, I would have the engine totally rehauled and bored...

And you would need a different tranny. Yours won't bolt up - it is a different tranny altogether.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Alrighty ... Im so indecisive, there are so many choices that are close (moneywise) but I guess Ill just see how things come ... ?

What are you going to do with that Xterra supercharger now? I really think you should just step back from all your inteded performance mods, take the time to really research and analyze your options, and then decide what you want to do.

The Phase 1/Phase II plans seem to be overlapping and negating each other from the last time I read them, and it seems like you constantly are buying things, not holding onto them, and using the money back from that to fund future projects.

IMO I would hold off on ALL performance mods until you are 100% positive what you want to do. Worry about the exterior and interior first. The OHV is not really an ideal performance platform nor is even my 4.0 SOHC. That is why I have done such minimal performance modifications. All I have done is a cold air intake kit, and an exhaust. The "real deal" in terms of performance does not currently sit underneath our hoods.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
And you would need a different tranny. Yours won't bolt up - it is a different tranny altogether.

Not sure if you were directing that to me, but yeah I am aware of that.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Good advice Rob. (and no - the tranny advice was for Al because of what the other person told him
)

Al, I would definitely decide what your future is with the X before going too far on one road and then changing your mind.

You can do far more with the 5.0 than you ever will be able to do with a 4.0. For that reason, I would do the swap before getting into trying to build a 4.0. But if speed is the only thing you are looking for (track speed that is), get a Pinto and a 460. That is a combination that is unreal...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well thats good advice, I guess Ill just focus on looks for now ... interior and ecterior, but I may get a nitrous kit bec no-matter what I do I can use this for any application. Thxs for the insight and help. Ill be taking your advice and will hold out for a little bit while I gather my options and do somemore research. I guess Ill just hold on to the Eaton .. LOL!

·
2,618 Posts
Sorry to pull up the older then dirt post. I didn't want to get slapped for not using the search function. =)

If I were to do a v8 swap in to a V6 body could I use the V6 transfer case? I found a lifted X I like but it's V6. And I like the idea of having the V8 and being able to shift in to 2wd.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
No you can't...........but you can get a BW4406 (I believe) manual shift and install that (assuming this is a 4 door model). You will just have to install, make sure you have a 2WD GEM module installed and cut a hole in the floor for the shifter. There are numerous threads on EF discussing this modification.

Unless the lifted V6 is a really good deal I would wait to find a V8 truck and lift that yourself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts