Explorer Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey man id really like a ncie how to on the gauges u put in. got any pics of them lighting up at night?? they blue ro what??? thnx for ur time

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hey, these aren't aftermarket, they are OEM from the 01+ Sports + Sport Tracs. I will write a How-To for accessing your instrument cluster, though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome, lets see it! also, do the explorers' needles come off alright? on my protege if u break a needle you're... :-X it would clean up that install a lot if u can just pop em off and put em back on, lets see it!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone know about the needles?? if they actually *break* when they come off i dont want to order them... if u can remove the needles and its easy to put them back on i will order them asap and wait on this precious how-to. its an 03 sport if that affects anything
:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Just to let everyone know, I have done it several times and I am working on doing directions. You dont remove the needles, they just slide over them

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah you can slip the overlays on without removing the needles, but the needles come off with very minimal effort. You just have to obviously be careful taking them off...and also when you put them back on making sure the needles remain accurate. A messed up speedometer is NOT good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the gauges i ordered appear to be just a large white overlay... being that there are 7 seperate needles in the configuration i cant imagine sliding the entire thing over it without taking off any needles... if a needle were to come off- all i would need to do when putting it back on is to make sure its resting at the very lowest point?? also, what is there to be careful bout if removing a needle?? its such a relief b/c i was TERRIFIED in my protege b/c the needles break, they dont remove. thanks guys, keep informing a noob... first one to write up a how-to will have a best bud forever!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
What year explorer do you have? I forgot to ask. They can play a big part in installing them. If you live close to vermont, I will be willing to install them for you

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It's not hard to get the gauge pod out. There are quite a few screws with a couple of them in not so obvious places, but it's not hard.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
157 actually showed me an install guide for the older explorer body style and it terrified me. can anyone give me confirmation that it is a lot less involved for the new body style?? also, im pretty sure i *will* have to remove needles because the new body style just has 1 huge overlay, not 3 dif ones... can i break needles when i try to remove them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
03explorersport or w/e said if its a new body styled sport, its almost the same interior as a a 2nd gend but if its an 02 or 03 4 door then the interior is completely dif, have u heard of that?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ok the installation guide that is posted on ExplorerForum will work for 95-01 4-Doors, and 95-03 2-Doors. They use the same style interior and dash cluster. However 02+ 4-Doors are completely different - there is no comparison there.

If you don't know what you're doing or are not comfortable with it, have someone install it who you trust with what they're doing. The entire installation is very simple but again, if you're not comfortable with it then don't do it - period.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya the only dif ive seen so far is the actual gauges themselves, the 03 sport overlay is one GIANT overlay, not 3 seperate ones, which is gonna complicate a little bit, thank you very much for your expertise, im gonna go for it. nobody here knows anything bout explorers so i got no local support. i am going to TRY and cut the giant overlay into 3 dif sections if the wiring along the back of the overlay will allow me to. i know i cant sever anything so i will just have to see. any thoughts bout that?? im going to TRY and avoid removing needles if i can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts