Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got the silverstars tonight, installed one so I could see the difference between the stock headlight, and I wasnt too happy with the results. I saw a very slight difference, nothing noticeable. Heres a pic I just took. Its kinda blury but it looks just like that in real life. I really was expecting alot more. Maybe I shouldnt have.

Can ya tell which one I changed??

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Looks the exact same to me, but thats very very odd. Mine are not even CLOSE to stock, same with Ally...thats really weird that yours look identical...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Friend of mine got Silverstars for his Ram and noticed the same thing. They were just a little brighter than stock, but were the same yellow color. That's why I didn't go with them.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Silverstars are much brighter than stock. Keep in mind that he has a 1995 Explorer with, I imagine, the original lenses. Lenses lose their clarity over time so I expect that that's what is happening here. I had Silverstars on my Ranger and they were WAY brighter than stock. I've known about 5 other people personally who've used them and they were WAY brighter than stock. I use the Cool Blues now and they're WAY brighter than stock.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I hardly think so. They are what they are: brighter than stock. But anyone looking for HID quality is going to be sorely dissappointed. I've used them on 2 different vehicles and never thought of them as overrated. HID conversions for $600 ARE overrated, however.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I really like my Silverstars. They are much brighter than the stock lamps.

I did notice one thing yesterday. I came out of work, the X was already running. As I walked towards it, there was a noticeable difference between the appearance of the headlights and the fog lights (which are also Silverstars). The fogs appeared quite a bit "whiter" (not bluer, right, Rob?) than the headlights. Only thing I could figure is that its because the fogs are smaller, and they have the metal shield around the lamp, so they are concentrating the light and making it appear brighter and whiter.

Its just the opposite of the situation before I did the fogs. The headlights were so much whiter than the stock fogs, it was bugging me. Now the fogs are so white, they're making the headlights look yellower. All things are relative, I guess
:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Maybe you guys are spending too much time looking at your headlights and you screwed up your vision.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Everybody has those yellow spots in front of them all the time, don't they???? :!:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
LOL!

See, now that's a good line to use on your wife. "Honey, you are so beautiful, you're affecting my vision."

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I think cleaning and refinishing the headlights is your real answer. Mine are practically new so thats why I can notice such a huge difference. My clearcorners for one thing are only a year old.

Take a look at this process for sanding and refinishing the actual headlight housings without even having to remove them from your vehicle:

http://www.lensrenew.com/

I'm not trying to give this guy free marketing, but at the sametime this is a great idea. I may have to try it sometime on my headlight housings, just for kicks. Although I wouldn't buy this guys kit, I would just buy the components seperately from any Pep Boys / AutoZone / SEARS Hardware store if it worked out to be cheaper then $35 (his kit price).

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Good idea. Right now, she thinks I'm going blind from sitting in front of my computer all the time yakking with you guys.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Good idea. Right now, she thinks I'm going blind from sitting in front of my computer all the time yakking with you guys.

I remember when I got my first computer (this is several years ago, I believe I was 14 at the time) I was on it a lot, learning computer programming and such. At first my parents would get furious with how much time I spent on the computer, they just didn't understand it. Then they saw that I began to make money, receive thousands of dollars worth of products to review (for a website I was running at the time) and also build really good websites, and that was the end of their complaining.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You've got the right idea, Rob.

I mostly use my computer to SPEND money

so that creates another whole set of problems. But I also very seldom have to deal with the whole 14 year old girl/shopping mall situation, either.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
See, I really think that's what it is. They become blurred over time and that has such a huge effect on the light.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts