Explorer Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about taking my headers and instead of using the Y pipe that hooks the headers to the cat, running from there and going with duals all the way out the rear, dual mufflers and no cat... Just a idea I have been playing with for my lowered X. Later, RJ68

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I dont know all the mechanics but I think that would work. And since you dont live up north, you dont have to worry about car inspections like I do
NJ are Nazis... :shootme:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Jason, good idea. You have a six right? Then i'd use a 2.25 inch dual setup, but somewhere in the front section have the pipes join, with just a straight piece going across from pipe to pipe simialar to a mustang H-pipe. Maybe add 1 high flow cat on each side, too free flowing on v6's have been known to lose hp instead of gain.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A true dual exhaust system is hard to do on an Explorer.There are two problems that you are faced with. The first one is space. Since the fuel tank is located on the drivers side frame rail, there would be no place for the pipe on the left side. There really is not enough room to run two pipes down the right side either.You may want to get it up in the air so you can see what I am talking about. The other problem is the spare tire. There has to be a lot of bends and it would be very close to the spare tire. A 2.25" pipe would be difficult. Most guys that do a duel exhaust do a muffler back system. I do not think it is any more effiecient than a single 2.50" with less bends. But you do have the two pipes coming out the rear. You can also wrap the pipe so your spare tire does not get too hot.

Eliminating the cats is going to eliminate too much back pressure on an Explorer. It works great on a Mustang, but it ruins the low end power on an Explorer. A custom y-pipe and a high flow catalyst would be OK. You could make up with some low end power loss with a custom computer chip. I speak from experience with the both of these issues.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would go with the high flow cats, but the price of them is crazy, or at least last time I looked. I do not have a spare so there is no worry there. I might run the 2.25 all the way to the area where the spare was then in to my mufflers.. Still pondering the deal as for low end torque I am then again not worried due to this is more for show than all out drag. I am cought in a catch 22 here cause I want a charger for it, then again no more than I drive it.... I might have to check things out more and see what looks good to do... Thanks for the feedback. Also I might not run completely all the way out the rear they might dump befor the axle like it does now... Hell I might get the headers on and it might sound better than now and keep it the way it is.... Just have to see... Later, RJ68

1 - 5 of 5 Posts