Explorer Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys this summer i'm hoping to be getting another project this summer since my v8 ranger will be done and now that i'm a uncel i'm gonna have to take him out and have fun with him and the ranger is just not gonna be big enough and i'm looking at getting a 1991-1994 explorer sport 2wd that i can lower probably 3-4 its a daily driver but would like a little sport to it and putting on some mustang bullit rims 17" ones and i wanna swap a 5.0 into it as well i would like to run in the high 13's low 14's with the explorer and will all the rad and motor mounts work from a newr explorer please give me as much infor or were to look for it thanks

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
!3's or low 14's will be tough, you'll need more than just a 5.0 motor, you'll land up buying a significant amount of performance parts too.

Look at it this way a mildly modified 5.0 fox mustang runs high 13's low 14's and even slower with an auto.

You'll be carting around 1000 more pounds, putting you in the low to mid 15's. Which is quick in suv terms but it's no race car. I'd say you be nuts to put a H/C/I job into an explorer that old. And that's what it would take to see that kind of time, and adds about 2500 bucks to the job.

You already have a pickup, personally i'd buy a mustang notchback or hatch lx's only (no convertables, there's no room). there's plenty of room for people 14 and under in a fox mustang, i should know, check my sig.

If you are hell bent on put the 5.0 in an older explorer i'll see if i can find out how to do it.

I'm personally a hardcore 5.0 guy, and that's what i'd do. Just my opinions though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so if i was to use the 345 hp crate motor out of the ford racing catalog and a 3000 stall converter in the aod and some headers and dual exhaust with high flow cats and a 3:73 posi 8.8 with some slicks i would not be close to a high 13 explorer evan if i bring it closer to the ground with the combo my truck will run in the 12's add a 1000 lbs so i figure a mid to high 14 combo.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I'll assume you are talking about the gt40 x aluminum head crate motor. And i don't believe it comes with an intake, computer injection, mass air.

That motor with the required intake stuff, makes about 300 at the wheels, enough to propel most mustangs into the high to mid 12's (assuming they are street cars).

So probably enough to get mid 14's out of your explorer.

But if you start adding dollars up this will be an 8000 dollar job + the truck, you can have a low 11 sec. mustang for that.

Lifted, you'd be using it differently, you'll be running stuff over. Completely different from street racing it or drag racing.

Ranger, i think it would be a cool project, but you'd go way faster and cheaper in a car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
2000xp8, you are right, i will be runnin over stuff. lol, but it will defintely get raced every once in a while. I mean, think of this situation..... pulling up to some like.... ricer kid in his dumb lookin civic, reving the engine and completely kickin the CRAP outta him. lol. That's be great, b/c then, for the next week, he'd be walkin around thinkin "I got smoked by a lifted Explorer!" Then, he'd sell his civic, buy an explorer, and we'd have one more person in the world of Explorers!! I'm just helping out the community of Explorer Owners is all, by raisin the population.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Lifted: The reality of that situation would be, he'd do a "ricer drive by" (when you beat them up to 60 mph or so and you let off the gas yet they keep going and claim they won) and tell all his friends he beat you. He'd then add more ricer products like a TypeR sticker, park bench wing, Japanese graphics, etc thinking that he'd "beat you" even worse the next time.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts