Explorer Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright John, and the rest..

First John you may remember me as I had to phone my order in from Belgium and I must say I am almost totally pleased with everything.

Now here comes the problem on startup I still get the choppy lope and it stalls out usually once, depending on how cold it is. Once it gets to normal operating temperature you can start it any time and no stall.

Alright things I have checked so far. All the vacuum lines.

Put the sun computer on it and came up with no fault codes whatsoever.

Checked the spark plug's and wires but am about to go with a set of the Jacobs does EE sell those as well ? If so I may need to place another order. Oh running the platinum 2's

Working on conning the wife into letting me buy the Cobra R's as well but will take some time. I guess the hood will have to wait til we get back to the states I do not think it will meet the postal guidelines to ship here. Also getting ready to put another order in with you another X owner here in Belgium heard the roar and has talked his wife into it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry about the delayed response. I would recommend taking another hard look for vacuum leaks. You may also take a look at the IAC Valve. The early Explorer did not call for platnum plugs (91-92). You may want to go back to good old Motorcraft Plugs. I do not have a source for Jacobs plug wires. I carry JBA & Motorcraft. Last thing, make sure your thermostat is good. Go with a stock tempurature thermo. Since the engine relies on sensors, it is very sensitive to engine temps. If the thermostat does not function properly. it can cause problems.

When you break through to your wife, I have your CobraR Wheels for you. I will give you a killer deal when that day comes!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just purchased two new to me explorers both 98's one is XLT one Sport. The XLT appears to have the same problem with cold start rough idle to the point of stalling. When I say cold I mean 12-18 degrees. The Sport starts fine in the same conditions. Shortly after we bought them we took a 30 minite drive and the "CHECK ENGINE" light came on. We immediatly took it to a ford dealership and had the engine checked. It had the following problems:

Open Recall on the timing belt.

Clogged fuel filter

Fuel pump under preassure

Mannifold leak.

I have not had anything fixed yet since we will be taking it back to the dealership (not Ford dealer) where we bought it to see what the 90 day warranty will cover.

But I supect the fuel filter / pump may have somthing to do with the problem, maybe something that should be looked on your vehicle
:
:
:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not getting any codes at all. It seems to have gone to a normal startup procedures. Now just idling after startup it stalls after about a minute and a half. it only stalls once each first start of the day.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I don't have a six, nor have i seen one in person, but most other ford idling issues are from the TPS (throttle position sensor), the IAC as john stated, or an exhaust leak. The IAC can be cleaned with carbeurater cleaner.

Also try disconnecting the battery for a half hour or so.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright today for the first time sI started my X after it sat for two days while my wife enjoyed her new Convertible GT it started right up and didn't stall I let it idle for a good 20 minutes waiting for it to go to a rough idle stall something it never did I think I have a ghost. None the less I bought a ton of vacuum line to redo all possible leaks so I will probably knock that out this up coming weekend.

Oh and John I have her talked into the Cobra R's and the Edelbrock shocks just trying to decide if I want to finish off the Xspec kit by doing the lowering(feel free to give me a price on the rims chrome of course and shocks then add the lowering kit off to the side). Anyone that reads this that has lowered thier X give me a time frame and I know from reading past posts here that you need a front end alignment afterwards. I have never lowered a vehicle so I am trying to figure out what the torsion twist is feel free to chime in. Or perhaps there is a How to on it already and my laziness has kept me from finding it.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
fordracing89, I'm working on a How-To guide, mostly going to be a "tips & tricks" guide, but I'll have pictures of everything that you need to know and directions for things such as the torsion twist procedure. I'd also like to state that the X-Spec Suspension kit comes with very very good directions with pictures, although the pictures are limited and in black in white.

BTW are you over in Belgium for the military or something? I just noticed how you've made comments that you'll be returning to the States, etc. Just curious, as I have family in Belgium myself.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sent you a pm there Rob, as for getting the vehicles back to the states a meer 600 bucks for my X to go back and the wife's GT will be paid for by the Military. We have been here for three years got two left to go I waited to do any mods because I didn't want to pay shipping costs twice but I broke down and called EE and they took good care of me. The hard part was staying up to catch them at a desk near a phone they seem busy constantly. Once I got John and Gloria on the phone they were done for as was my Discover card. I must say I yanked the KYB's on the X off and put the stock heavy duty Gabriels back on due to a leak in one of the KYB's my X now rides rough as hell.
Just won't do..

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the problem for anyone that was interested silly B&M electronic shift kit. Apparently when switched to setting one which is said to be able to stay there all the time My X does not like to start up there while I was in Bremerhaven my wife must have turned it to the center or off position. It could be that the tranny fluid was so cold and the pump in my tranny is after all 8 years old that my poor X is just not strong enough to keep that cold fluid citculating.

·
Swedish member
1 Posts
Rob

Hi, and thanks for the interesting conversation.
I hope to get closer to the mystery of my Explorer-99.

When the engine is cold, reel cold (i?m from sweden, so it gets cold often), the car just won?t stay on idle, it dies and it?s hard to hold the rear up so the engine can warm up.
Wrongcodes from the car says leek, but we have test with smokemachine and can?t find any leek.

When the engine is warm, it?s no problem.
Can anyone tell me what?s wrong?

/Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts