Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok want some opinions on this...

Looking to get a new intake on the Xploda, should I get a Mac intake or a Volant cold air intake?
: I want to get the most for my $

lets hear it 8)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
As far as I know and what I've been told by people who know what they're talking about, like John V, any performance "gain" is going to be roughly the exact same, you're just paying for the brand and some other pointless accessories and stickers. Oh, and in the case of the K&N, the DOT approval across the U.S.

My friend has the Volant in his 3rd gen Explorer and it sounds fantastic. He doesn't have an exhaust at all so you can REALLY hear it and it definitely sounds very impressive. The Mac's are good as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recommend the Mac. It's pretty cheap from www.MACperformance.com and it gives a gain of 11.7HP to the rear wheels. I've never seen a better gain than that from any intake. It has a nice chrome tube also.

Another recommended upgrade would be the mass airlow (MAF) sensor that connects the the filter side of the tube. Get it here (mucho $$$):

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/fordmaftruck.htm

Alot of people use the $10 add on resistors but I have no experiance with those. Granatelli says the computer compensates for the cheapo's HP gain after about 200 miles. Thus negating the upgrade. Read the text on their web page if you consider this MAF.

·
Registered
90 Posts
BTW, Rob, Where are your camber adjusters? I have the same X and I'd like to install them myself before taking in for alignment (to save $40). I haven't seen any pictures of my front end pointing them out.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, I have a MAC intake so that's my answer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well I sell the Mac, so that is my answer. But seriously we've had great success with the Mac. We installed many here at our shop in Richmond Ca. It offers noticable power improvement and is a very good value. We have it on our web site for $134.95.

It is shown here with the 75mm Pro-M Mass Air Sensor. Which also adds more power, but it works best when used with the Apten Chip.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/catalog/cat...talog.html?4651

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I'd go with the MAC intake too. It's the best for the money.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well lets just say that I went with the MAC intake from [email protected] EE and my quarter mile time dropped by about .20 seconds. Or somewhere thereabouts. I got a thread I think on EF that states the exact time difference between the two. But going off of the weight of my vehicle and the time difference I did gain close to 12 rwhp from that intake alone. I would say very well worth it. And if you are going to buy MAC then go with EE. I noticed MAc had dropped their prices and they hadnt told EE about it. So when I informed John of it he instantly dropped theirs to match and sent it out the same day too. I could not ask for better service. We really lucked out when we got John from EE and Brian from Apten working to improve the performance of our vehicles. Two very good and very knowledgeable guys!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
:stupid:

We don't have to go to them they come to us.

What better service is that?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Metal heat-soaks ... causing los of power and thus deffeating the purpose of cold air! Get any Intake thats plastic or just not metal. Enuff said.

But, I guess Im outnumbered ... (Just stating the facts here folks ...)

<----------- Puting on flame suit

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Welcome "thejuice!" Be sure to post pictures of your Explorer in our Showcase forum.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Metal heat-soaks ... causing los of power and thus deffeating the purpose of cold air! Get any Intake thats plastic or just not metal. Enuff said. ?

But, I guess Im outnumbered ... (Just stating the facts here folks ...)

<----------- Puting on flame suit ?
Those aren't facts, though. My MAC intake tube gets no warmer than the plastic OEM tubing. You have air coming in that cools the intake so it's the same. Besides, the MAC intake, or any intake that doesn't bring in air from outside the vehicle, is not a cold air intake.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts