Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
White Student Calls Self African-American

Officials disciplined students who papered their nearly all-white high school with posters advocating a white student from South Africa for the school's "Distinguished African American Student Award."
I personally think this is great. NOBODY should be singled out due to their race, whether in a negative or positive way. That boy had every right to be a candidate for that award since he is in fact, African-American. But I also don't believe that MLK wanted it this way, for anyone to be portrayed as being better than the next based solely upon their race. I can only imagine what the outrcy would like if a white student were given an award for the "Distinguished European American Award" on Columbus Day.

When are people in this country going to get over this race issue? I know, the answer is, NEVER. It's things like this situation that perpetuate it, not help it. Now, those kids who did this are going to be portrayed as racists, even though the real racists are the school or whoever came up with this award idea. Excluding whites is just as racist as excluding blacks.

Good for those kids. I'm impressed.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I know this is a deep subject but it's something that really bugs me. I know we can discuss this in a mature fashion and I thought you'd find it interesting, as well.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
When are people in this country going to get over this race issue?

Like you said NEVER. In my History class this past semester, I learned that Abraham Lincoln said that he wanted to move all of the blacks to their own country. If they didn't move, there would always be some sort of hatred towards them for many generations to come. And sadly enough, it has come true. See the white people should have listened to Lincoln and moved the blacks. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not racist against black people and think they should be moved. I'm part black myself. But, I think this whole issue now couldhave been avoided if the government would have listened to their Pres.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I learned that Abraham Lincoln said that he wanted to move all of the blacks to their own country

Only problem is, that wouldn't stop racism dead in its tracks, for one thing it would be seperating and dividing people more than "uniting"..not sure if thats the point you were trying to make but I just think thats not the right answer. I mean look what they did to the Native Americans...they herded them all to a small location, and eventually killed almost all of them anyway.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, it didn't work with the Native Americans so it wouldnt' work with black folks, either. I understand what Lincoln was trying to say but, like Rob said, that idea would only divide us.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm...I'm not quite sure I understand what happened...clarification for me anyone?

(I'm having a slow day :( )
Apparently the school gives an award to an African American (I hate that term) student on MLK Day every year who has done well academically. A white, South African student and his friends put up posters nominating him for the award since he is, in fact, an African American. The school officials didn't like it so they punished them.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Bugs the heck out of me, too. And I've heard quite a bit about this one, since its right here in my town.

This "award" was called an "African American" award. The kid was born and raised in South Africa. Sounds like he should qualify. TV News interviewed a bunch of black students, most of whom thought it was wrong for this kid to try and win an "African American" award because he wasn't black. Why does "African- American" have to mean black? Are there no people in Africa who aren't black? Why do we have to worry so much about discrimination that we go too far the other way, and create jsut as much reverse diecrimination? Its the worst in the schools, where now you can't have Chritmas, Hannukah, Easter, Halloween, but its OK to talk about Kwanzaa.

This same school punished several students who wanted to have some official remembrance of Martin Luther King day. They were told they couldn't. Now, if we consider that MLK's message is that we all need to get along with each other, who should be offended by at least acknowledging the event? Well, these kids were told that they couldn't do anything for MLK day, and they put up some posters just to remind people of the day, and they got punished. WTF???

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
to the award thats a bunch of crap on the schools part and those kids have a very good fight that they can easily win, my friend at work is from south africa and is technically an african american, racism has been around for many many many many years and will be here for many to come sadly

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear from someone in the area who's more familiar with this.

That's just plain nuts. MLK Day is a good holiday to recognize a great man in our country's history. I agree, jgt (who wouldn't). How can you not celebrate someone whose sole purpose in life was to unite our country?

Now that you've explained it further, this doesn't seem to be about racism. It seems more about money, as in, they don't want a lawsuit so they ban everything. In a way, I can understand where they're coming from but they're obviously taking it too far.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Dave Matthews from Dave Matthews Band is from Africa. He was born and raised there. So he's an "African-American"

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See, that's why I say I don't like those terms, African American, Italian American, etc. Those terms only point out our differences. We are Americans. I'm half Italian but I would never call myself Italian American. Maybe my ancestors when they first came to this country should use that term but I'm so many generations into this country that I'm simply American and that's all I want to be.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Every public school board around is so litigation shy, they can't think of anything else, and the only ones who suffer are the kids. Are we really trying to teach our kids that Christmas is WRONG? To we really want to instill in them that its OK to have black-only awards, but white-only awards are illegal, immoral, and unconstitutional? We can't be black, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Indian anymore. We have to be Asian-American, Latin-American, African-American. I haven't taken Geography in a while, and I know there's been some changes in the -stan countries, but I've never seen a map that would show me where Asia-America is. Where's Native America (mostly in South Dakota, but the maps don't show it)? If we make it a completely nonsensical expression, it can't offend anybody, right?

In my town, the Millard South Indians had to become the "Patriots" because somebody was offended. A long time ago, the University of Nebraska at Omaha changed from "Indians" to "Mavericks". Whats up with the Washington Redskins?

I could *censored* about school boards for the next 12 hours nonstop, so I probably should step away from this thread. I have a daughter who was expelled from high school as a "drug dealer" when she gave a friend ONE ibuprofen for PMS. The principal did not have enough backbone to make an actual decision that a straight A honor student and varsity athlete who helped a friend was different than the heroin pusher lurking in the parking lot, so it took us three weeks and two lawyers to get her back in school. And these idiots get over $4,000 a year in real estate taxes from me. Man, I feel great about that

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
jgt02expltd, WOW I cannot believe they could be that blind and ignorant! DAMN, I am getting furious just READING it, I can't believe what it must've put you and your daughter through. That is complete BS and that pisses me off so much. I can't believe people could even ACCUSE someone of that! And for perfectly legal over the counter PAIN/FEVER REDUCER!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
they did the same thing at my school, 2 weeks into this girls freshman year, still wasnt used to the rules and got away with it in middle school, so she gave her friend 2 tylenol cuz she had a headache and a teacher caught her and she was suspended for 10 days, thrown off the cheer squad and wa splaced on her permanent record, she withdrew from public school and enrolled in a private christian school

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
TFN Rob,

You could not have believed the stink I raised over this deal. Schools aren't subject to due process, so they locked her in an office, searched her purse, searched her locker, called the police, interrogated her, and would not allow her to phone her parents for 2 1/2 hours. The girl who TOOK the pill was suspended for 21 days as a "drug user".

We had three live TV trucks parked outside our house that night. EVERY teacher wrote a letter on her behalf. The principal "felt really bad, but couldn't do anything since the papers had already been filed" Since this happened, the school has revised their "official handbook" twice to try and clarify some of these issues, so maybe at least the next kid won't sit at home for 3 weeks crying.

The lawyers for the school board came up with some mumbo-jumbo that she was still expelled (so we couldn't sue them over wrongful expulsion), but they decided they could "suspend the enforcement of the expulsion". She went back to school, but couldn't participate in any school activities the rest of the year. She not only couldn't play soccer (she made varsity the day they kicked her out), she couldn't go watch the games. So her gym teacher decided that in order to make up the 21 days of class she missed, she should be a sideline manager, and was required to go to the games!

She went on to make National Honor Society, graduated with highest honors, and now she's a freshman at Notre Dame. So, screw them!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Oh by the way jgt02expltd, I'm assuming this all happened in a private catholic high school right? Reason why I say this is because I think as pretty much every parent knows, well or at least a great majority, that the utter bs that they pull is nothing short of REDICULOUS. I went to private catholic schooling from the 3rd grade all the way up through high school. And the elementry school I went to was ABSURD, they would be the ones that would pull that kind of crap. But my high school I loved, I wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere else (although when I was a freshman I wanted out real bad). It was definitely worth it in the end no question...but there were plenty of instances not to this extreme but similar that it was just really a slap in the face to the parents and kids who went there, with the absurd rulings they would do.

But that is amazing that your daughter got into Notre Dame, thats quite an accomplishment. Good luck to her with that

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I feel like going on a shooting spree after hearing that(not seriously, of course). I need to talk to my aunt about this. She's been a teacher for 30 years, this year. She goes nuts over these things.

It's the whole "no tolerance" policy. You bring nail clippers to school, it's a weapon. NO TOLERANCE. You point at someone with your finger, it's a threat. NO TOLERANCE. You bring Advil to school, you're a drug dealer. NO TOLERANCE.

It's just ridiculous. It's as though the people who are teaching our young ones to think (I'm not a father but expect to be in the next year or so) don't know how to use their own brains. There's just no logic to it.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, I went to Catholic schools from 1st grade (St Pauls in Burlington) through high school (Holy Cross in Delran) and I never saw anything like this. I saw someone kicked out for drinking in school and for having pot in their locker. That's it, though. I plan on sending my child to Catholic school, as well. I think it's the best education you can get.

BTW Rob, I think he's talking about public school since he mentioned the school board.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
BTW Rob, I think he's talking about public school since he mentioned the school board.

True. Also of course you'd be able to celebrate Christmas in a catholic school. Oh well, sounds like something that definitely would come out of some catholic schools. You're right you hit the nail on the head with the "NO TOLERANCE" statement. Because I remember my principal and dean of discipline referring to that many times in my high school before we would go to say our senior class trip etc, they couldnt stress "no tolerance" enough. I understand NO TOLERANCE, but TO A POINT and using some common sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts