Explorer Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an intermittent no crank condition on a 2003 Explorer. I suspect a PATS issue.

Is there a way to bypass PATS? I read somewhere that some replaced a PATS relay in the engine compartment. I don't see one listed in my owners manual.

Don't expect the dealer to be able to do much unless codes are being stored. Does anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thanks in advancd,
Dennis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi makuloco2000,

Thanks for the reply.

It's my Wife's car and it's only happened to me once. It started up on the third try and I didn't notice what the indicator was doing. I've asked her to note what what it's doing the next time it happens.

In the meantime, is there a relay I can check? I don't fancy the idea of being stranded if it gets to a point where it won't start at all. Someone mentioned replacing a relay. If that's the case, I'd like to wire a switch to bypass PATS.

Thanks,
Dennis

PS Saw that video on the blender door fix. I had that happen when the car was under warranty so didn't have to pay for it. Good to know I can do it myself and not take hours...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi makuloco2000,

When you turn the key to the on position does the pats theft indicator go solid then off or does it flash rapidly?
The indicator was on solid and then went off. Took half a dozen attempts switching off then start before it started. Once it started, it was reliable for a half dozen starts (hasn't failed again).

Indicator never flashed rapidly. So the vehicle doesn't think it's being stolen and I have some other problem???

Thanks,
Dennis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts