Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally took my Explorer to the body shop today to get an estimate (Joe - Carlsons) and he ballparked the number on the spot but was going to go back inside and he will get me an exact number within a few days. But he ballparked the number to be around $4,500. Here's what it includes:

- Entire truck repainted Metallic Black, minus door jams (who cares)

- All custom parts prepped, fabbed in and painted

- All trim + bumpers painted Metallic black

- Clearcoat on paint

He said there is some sort of metal sheeting within the fender/trim panels so that it would be easier for him to just leave them on and paint everything alltogether at once. Basically he said if he were to remove the trim panel pieces that they would be warped and may never look the same. So unless I was going to go out and buy new ones he wouldn't take them off. But he would obviously do the paint right with them on.

I asked if there was any sort of additional cost for the Metallic black paint, and he said no there is literally no price difference, he just puts the metallic stuff into the black paint and that is that.

In regards to molding my hood scoop onto the actual hood and fiberglassing the edges, he said that he won't do it because (and he stressed this strongly) fiberglass to steel/metal *ALWAYS* will crack, it just never works. He said everytime basically you slam the hood shut it can either immediately or in due time crack the fiberglass. That made complete sense to me so I said well forget that, no big deal. It would've been nice but it's not an issue. He said I would be better off to just get an entire new fiberglass hood with a hood scoop or cowl built in as part of the mold.

Since all my car business (we've had three of our cars taken there multiple times for work) goes to this guy and I had a past "issue" with him, he's going to try to work the price down but the bottomline is this is going to be a ton of money. No matter what I will have this done, it's just a matter of now how soon.

I could say :censor: the rims and use that grand towards the paint which is something I may have to do, because then I would have just that much more already available to pay for this. The agreement between my dad and I was to split the cost but I have no idea how much he is going to want to split up to. I mean it's not like we're made of money or have a lot of money readily available to spend on whatever. Plus we have some big expenses coming up (house remodeling, sister is getting married).

Within about two months or so I could basically have almost nearly all of it on my own but again that would mean forfeiting the 20" wheels. The other option would be to just buy the 20" wheels now, but then it would just take me an extra 4-5 weeks approximately until I could get all the paint work done to my truck. I guess it comes down to how bad do I want this paint work done, and how bad do I want those 20" wheels.

What do you guys think? Of course I am going to get a couple more estimates on this, but I do know that if I go with this guy he will do a damn good job on everything and it will turn out the way I want it to. He also mentioned (not too big of an issue) that the work would take 3 weeks to complete. I'd rather wait longer if it's going to be done right though.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'll bet CobraXP would sure like to see you get that truck painted right away

He's been looking for away to get those wheels

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean 98X50...

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Damn!!!! That makes my paint job sound cheap!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn!!!! ?That makes my paint job sound cheap!!
Yeah, but remember I am getting a ton of more work done. If it means a huge price difference I may just have the trim and bumpers painted black and that will be that, I can live with my current paint condition if it means I will save 2 grand or more.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You mean 98X50...

Oops :roll: I knew one of those guys with "X" in his name was on your case about it.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Jeez, that's a lot of money. I don't mean it's a bad price, just that that would furnish my entire living (including electronics), master bedroom, and fence in my back yard. 8O

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Damn, thats about what my X is worth right now!

I guess you might get what you pay for and ya gotta get it right the first time. I really dont know what is cheap or expensive as far as paint goes but does your paint look bad right now Rob? If the paint would give it a subtle change I'd rather go for the rims but if its totally going to transform the look of the paint, well then go for it.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem with my paint is:

A) It was never clearcoated from the factory

B) The previous owner went through automatic carwashes almost every week

C) As a result it has really bad swirl marks on the sides of the car

D) I can hide the swirl marks decently but only after I wax it about 3 times every month (and during the winter when I can't wax, the paints "true colors" literally shows, and the swirl marks look like ****)

E) Too much upkeep just to keep the paint looking good

F) I've tried numerous car paint finish products to rid of the swirl marks etc. but it just doesnt work or isnt permanent

So I'd really rather just get it all repainted and properly take care of it from here forward and keep it looking the way it should. The paint was completely neglected for three years by the previous owner. I am willing to bet it was only waxed twice, and that was when it first arrived on the lot, and then when they traded it back in and it was waxed again and then sold to me.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Yeah Rob that sounds like enough problems to force a complete repaint. I know if you shell out the cash for it you will be much happier with it instead of trying to fight the swirls until the world ends.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, maybe, but the point is that $4,500 is about a little less than what this car is even worth. I plan on keeping this car for at least another 4 years so I guess I could really justify the cost of repainting it. But at the same rate, I question if I should just say to myself that it really isn't that big of a deal, I'd rather just "deal with it" and put the money towards other things.

At the very minimum my trim and bumpers are going to be painted black, but then half of my car will have brand spanking new paint and the other paint will suck ass.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, but that wouldn't really fix anything anyway. The damage to the paint is permanent. And the underlying message is that my paint is not even clearcoated and every single chemical, and weather element that hits this paint shows everything and chews away at the paint.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah. My paint seriously is embarassing. I have spent so much money on my X and so forth, and the paint which everyone sees is next to impossible to upkeep. So something needs to be done. I'm going to constantly polish it and keep it 100% once all the paint work is done to my X thats for sure. I will after all, have just spent $4500.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeez, that's a lot of money. I don't mean it's a bad price, just that that would furnish my entire living (including electronics), master bedroom, and fence in my back yard. 8O
Ha, you think this is expensive for me? Wait till you get your Explorer repainted Eric. Especially if you do change the color.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
$4500 is not bad. Not the best I've seen, but not the worst either. If he is doing all the trim, all the the fab work for any parts, fixing any bubbles or dents, clearcoating, and fenderwell touchup - its not bad. But I would make him throw in the door jam touchup and hinges with that.

I am getting mine done this summer. The guy who is painitng mine is doing all of what you mentioned, plus fabbing my X-Spec grille, fabbing some type of airdam and bumper combo over the X-Spec airdam (whatever design we come up with), door jams, engine bay, some type of rear bumper cover (fiberglass), rear spoiler fab (making the Kia Sedona fit), roof rack removal, and we are going to figure something out for the undercarriage. All this for $5500. Only catch is I told him I wanted to help - not just have him do it (I want to help in the design and fabricating of the bumper fascias).

·
Registered
39 Posts
hey rob, i think that price is pretty high. you might want to go aroudn a few other shops and get different estimates. for 4500 you could do prob do a custom ghost flame paint job with all the other stuff painted as well. good luck with this.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
$4500 is not bad. ?Not the best I've seen, but not the worst either. ?If he is doing all the trim, all the the fab work for any parts, fixing any bubbles or dents, clearcoating, and fenderwell touchup - its not bad. ?But I would make him throw in the door jam touchup and hinges with that. ?

I am getting mine done this summer. ?The guy who is painitng mine is doing all of what you mentioned, plus fabbing my X-Spec grille, fabbing some type of airdam and bumper combo over the X-Spec airdam (whatever design we come up with), door jams, engine bay, some type of rear bumper cover (fiberglass), rear spoiler fab (making the Kia Sedona fit), roof rack removal, and we are going to figure something out for the undercarriage. ?All this for $5500. ?Only catch is I told him I wanted to help - not just have him do it (I want to help in the design and fabricating of the bumper fascias).

When I stated above "- All custom parts prepped, fabbed in and painted " that includes him painting, installing the EE X-Spec airdam, grille, and the prototype front bumper filler piece John sent me. Also he is going to repaint the hood scoop metallic black along with the rest but also use this stuff called "fusion" or something which sounds exactly like JBWeld :roll: to keep my hood scoop down so I won't have to rely on that damn 3M tape anymore.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts