Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my truck in yesterday for it's 24,000 check. On my way home I stopped at the stereo store to discuss upgrading my system. It is going to cost me about $1200 to add the JLAudio amp that is made for my X. So, it will be going in shortly to get done....woooohooooo

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Susie

What JL amp are you getting? Are you doing a "Stealth" sub setup?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Stealth sub setup!
I hope you're doing that. Eventually when I get enough spare
I am definitely getting one for my truck!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Too cool!!! When I did my system, they said they weren't available yet. You've got to let me know how it comes out. I wouldn't mind getting rid of my little box in the middle of the floor.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the guys at the shop has an '02 like ours and had it added on to his system...WOW what an improvement. He took me in the room and and since they are a JL authorized dealer had the set up that was like ours...he played it wihout the add-on and then with...gotta say I was impressed.

We don't have any kids so I am not looking to getting a head-unit. Your system by the way sounds awesome though. I'll go check out your pics.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
$1200?!?!?! OMG am I glad I don't have a 3rd gen.!!! I would never be able to afford it!!

I'm glad that you are going to get it. Do you have any plans on upgrading the rest of the speakers and taking out the OEM sub?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I'm glad that you are going to get it. Do you have any plans on upgrading the rest of the speakers and taking out the OEM sub?

:word: :stupid: Please upgrade your stock speakers! There is such a huge difference. I have 220 watt Pioneer speakers and they are nuts! They aren't even wired to an external amp either, although I did run completely new speaker wire. Soon I will have them wired to an external amp!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Rob I have the same speakers up front and 140w Kenwoods in the back. I love the Pioneers!!!! I'm not running an external amp to them either and they sound amazing! Susie it's highly recommended (as you can tell) that you should upgrade your speakers. You won't be sorry you did.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just got a phone call that I wasn't happy about...it won't work!!! I have the air in the rear They are trying to see if there is a way they can work around it but I haven't heard back in over 2 hours now.

You know I was told I didn't need to upgrade my speakers because I have the upgraded ones already. The system is a JL system with 290 watts and 8 speakers already....don't confuse me guys. I thought the guys at the shop would know what they are doing, especially since it would be padding their pockets.

I'll let you know if I hear any more

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
The system is a JL system with 290 watts and 8 speakers already....don't confuse me guys.

Yeah thats exactly the problem. You have EIGHT SPEAKERS, and it only equals 290 watts. Aftermarket speakers (like mine) can give you up to 220 watts PER SPEAKER, if wired to an external amp. And even if they aren't wired to an external amp (mine arent yet) they are an INCREDIBLE sound improvement over stock. My friend has a '02 XLT, so I know what the stock ones sound like and believe me they are crap in comparison. He got all new Rockford Fosgate speakers and they are INCREDIBLE, I've never heard music so good.

I guess it really depends on how much do you want to pay to have really good sound. And if you even care that much about it. I consider myself an audiophile so I always will pay a lot for really good sound.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The system is a JL system with 290 watts and 8 speakers already....don't confuse me guys.

Yeah thats exactly the problem. You have EIGHT SPEAKERS, and it only equals 290 watts. Aftermarket speakers (like mine) can give you up to 220 watts PER SPEAKER, if wired to an external amp. And even if they aren't wired to an external amp (mine arent yet) they are an INCREDIBLE sound improvement over stock. My friend has a '02 XLT, so I know what the stock ones sound like and believe me they are crap in comparison. He got all new Rockford Fosgate speakers and they are INCREDIBLE, I've never heard music so good.

I guess it really depends on how much do you want to pay to have really good sound. And if you even care that much about it. I consider myself an audiophile so I always will pay a lot for really good sound.

I second this motion ... I think Im gonna pick me up some eclipse point sources later on this week.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Susie:

While the system you have sounds pretty good for a factory setup, it really is very easy to improve on it.

Standard factory 290 watt system:

32 watts to each front and rear speaker location. This is the output from the head unit

160 watts to the factory 8" subwoofer. This is the little external amp that is attached to the subwoofer enclosure in the rear fender.

Those numbers are maximum output, not usable.

Standard "7 speakers" - Front doors are component style - a 1" tweeter and a 4" mid range mounted on a plate. That counts as 4 speakers. Rear doors are 6" x 8" two ways - these are really pretty basic. The seventh speaker is the subwoofer, which is better than nothing, but is pretty small

The very first thing that will make a huge difference in sound quality is better speakers, like everybody is saying. The second thing is more power.

For the $1,200 that the JL stealthbox was going to cost you,- (I would say WAS, because the JL website is correct - it won't work with rear air. The entire interior of the rear fender is different with air), you could get BOTH new speakers, AND more power.

Not that I have the answer to all the worls's problems, and not that these are the "best" parts and pieces out there, but for $1,200, my shop was going to do the following -

Keep the stock 6 CD head unit

New Eclipse 3532 5 channel amp - 105w max to each speaker channel + 230w to the subwoofer.

New Eclipse Point Source 2 way speakers in front doors. These are very nice speakers.

New Eclipse 3 way coaxial speakers in rear doors

New Eclipse 10" Dual Voice Coil subwoofer in a custom built box.

They hid the amp where the factory subwoofer used to be. Alternatively, you could have somebody custom fabricate an enclosure in this location - its the opposite side from where all the rear air stuff is.

If I hadn't wanted to go with all the video gear and satellite, I would have done this, and it would have sounded 100% better than what came from the factory.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
[..]

I second this motion ... I think Im gonna pick me up some eclipse point sources later on this week. ?

You're really going to like the Point Source speakers. Very clean sound. When I got mine, I was doing the Point Sources in the fronts, and standard coaxs in the rear. The shop "forgot" and put coaxs everywhere. I came back a week later and got the right ones put in. The difference was really surprising. Very noticeable

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Jeff thanks for that incredible insight!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Jeff thanks for that incredible insight!

:werd: Susie you still hsould upgrade your speakers. I had the choice of optioning for the 290 watt system and I went against it becasue it's only 290 watts and like Rob said, one of the Pioneer speakers puts out 220w. So with all of my after market stuff I have a 970 watt system (maximum not continuous). Not bad for the money I spent and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not into the boom boom that you hear coming from the cars guys, although I do like my music loud (not a fan of rap) which produces the boom boom.

I still haven't heard back from the shop though so I'm hoping they are working with the guys at JL and see what they can come up with.

Since I am doing this with my bonus that I got this year I am going to upgrade, but it will depend on whether I can get the Stealth or not and what else they can come up with.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Susie, I don't know about the rest but we're not talking about "boom boom" music...i.e. rap, dance, club, trance, etc...heck we aren't even talking about subwoofers, we're strictly talking about the mid's and high's in a sound system...the door speakers and tweeters...they do not produce the "boom boom" or whatever that you're talking about.

We're talking about straight up superb quality sounding sound systems. I have no subwoofers at all in my Explorer right now Susie and it sounds incredible....no stock speaker setup can match it. You need a powerful amp to power your components so you have the best quality, sharpest sounding output from your speakers.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well they just called...they can't put in the Stealth JL sub due to the air in the rear. The controls for the 3rd seat is back there. So....now I have to go back in for them to show me some other stuff that they can do. I don't want anything showing so I think I am limited.

Thanks for that info Rob, I know about stereo stuff in the house but not a dang thing about my car, opps, truck
Not sure I can make it over there today but if not I will tomorrow and let you guys know what they come up with. This is one of the top shops around our area that is very highly rated so I do trust them.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts