Explorer Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i just purchased a 98 explorer w/ the 5.0 v8. Since i am new to modding the explorer i would like to know what your recomendations for performance would be? I do need to get a exaust so i want one that will increase hp since i will be a tow vehical to . But i do have some extra money so i want to improve performace what do ya think i should do ....

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
For starters i'd add a true dual 2.5 inch or single 3in exhaust.

Then a baumann engineering shift kit. Especially if you are going to be towing with it. It will take the slop out of the trans.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Max that V8 out to high heaven. Make that V8 become a power plant for HP, supercharge the beast, get an air intake, throttle body, MAF, headers, exhaust... the options are endless for the 5.0.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for the welcome guys i appreciate it ......I will look into what you all have said my first step is going to be the exaust maybe the gibson..Then i might go for the intake and mass air ( how did the intake and mass air work out for ya?) again thanx for all the help

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Cobra, in all honesty i'd do the Baumann shift kit first, it's about 100 bucks, and probably the single best mod there is. My only mistake was not buying it the day i heard of it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well what we suggest to you to mod depends on what kind of power you want out of it. We can tell you ways to just build horsepower here and there and maybe see better gas mileage, or we can also tell you some of the ways to get that beast roaring down the 1320 trapping 11 second times. It all depends on what you want to do. I will assume that you just mean the basic bolt on performance mods. If so then I would have to suggest a good 2.5" true dual exhaust first off. Then either a chip or baumann shift kit, whichever one really. It all depends on after step one if you have a few hundred left or just a $100 left. But the shift kit is the best bang for the buck. The only reason I say the exhaust first is because of the power you will gain and also of course the sound!!! then from there you can go with an intake like MAC or K&N, you will gain pretty much the same amount of power no matter which one you go with, so dont beat yourself up alot trying to decide which one to get. Then from there if you want you can opt for a cam and roller rockers swap. Like I said, it all depends on how serious you want to get. Different goals require waay different mod planning, and of course different planning when dealing with money too. Just take the above advice of mine and the others if you just plan on going with the bolt ons for it. Or just give us a better idea of what you want if you might want to go more serious. Just remember that even medium sized projects can add up REALLLLLL quick! Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Basically the explorer i will be drivingis a everyday driver and i am looking for all around performance and i only tow my boat on the weekends...I was thinking to save money i would go with the Gibson exaust b/c i dont want to loud of a exaust by going dual, but i want it to sound nice ..Will this exaust give me any hp upgrade? Also i was thinking of going this route:

b4 anythign else Spark plugs And wires ( who makes good ones )?

1)Gibson exaust

2) Bauman Shift kit

3) Mac intake and pro m mass air

4) Apten chip

what do you think ..feel free to comment ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
intake 1st IMO...

chip should be programed in conjunction w/ the mods u already have, so gettin' it after the other goodies makes sense.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I think the gibson catback is only a 2.5 inch single. And since you have a 5.0 that's not big enough. Think of it this way. a dual 2.5 catback, is necessary on a 5.0 mustang (that's double the exhaust of the gibson), so at least a 3 in single in necessary in explorer. IMO anything else is just a waste of money.

I'm anti mac intake, but that's me, i'd rather just use a plate filter, and cut out the lower portion of the airbox, up front. Or do like i originally did, and add a second inlet.

Jcmaler is right, make the apten your very last mod, especially after the MAF or you'll need it reprogrammed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts