Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My K&N Intake that I ordered from Flik Customs arrived this afternoon. I installed it after dinner. Another high quality product, and the instructions were very well thought out.

The combination of the Gibson exhaust that I did last week, and the intake, have really brought the 4.6L to life! There is a noticeable increase in power, the exhaust tone is great, and when you open up the throttle, the intake really wails.

Another unexpected benefit is that it seems to be running much smoother at idle. I've been unhappy with the rough idle since my X was new, and this seems to really help with that a lot.

As far as I am concerned, this has been another really worthwhile mod. Thanks to Flik Customs for the great service and unbeatable prices.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Congrats on the new mod!!!
I bet it is even more enjoyable to drive now.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've taken mine in twice about the rough idling. Once, I got the standard "could not duplicate" response, and once they said they found some loose vacuum hoses that might have caused it. That time, it ran smooth as glass for about three days, then deteriorated again. Its been much better since I did the intake and exhaust.

I hemmed and hawed a lot about which intake to use. There doesn't seem to be a lot of scientific evidence about whether a chrome tube or a plastic tube is better, whether a heat shield really works or not, etc. I decided that I had a certain comfort level knowing that K&N has been around quite a while, and I put some credibility in using their filter. Nobody can prove whether the heat shield helps or not, but if by chance it does help, I have one. If Volant had one of their setups for the 4.6, I probably would have done that. I'm just a little conservative, I guess.

As a side note, when I was researching and ordering the intake, K&N still had the 4.6 version listed as an "Aircharger", the non-certified "offroad" version. But when I got it, the part number was totally different and it is packaged as an FIPK kit now, which means it comes with a CARB sticker.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yeah I have a friend that did the testing for K&N on his '02 Explorer. It is now CARB certified but only recently, hence the different part number I'm sure. I too did a lot of research and ended up with the MAC...I wanted the chrome/stainless steel look versus the plain black look. I would have much preferred the AF1 but of course they do not make it for ours and it doesn't look like they will any time soon. As many times

that I have emailed them they have only responded once and indicated they had no current plans to manufacture it. Not a very responsive company, too bad they make such a great product. My hubby has it on his Ford F-150 and by far is a superior product.

Good luck with the idle, you might want to have them check those hoses again...maybe there is a leak

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah I have a friend that did the testing for K&N on his '02 Explorer.
HEY! that's me!!
yay! I get my carb sticker now!

...As a side note, when I was researching and ordering the intake, K&N still had the 4.6 version listed as an "Aircharger", the non-certified "offroad" version. ?But when I got it, the part number was totally different and it is packaged as an FIPK kit now, which means it comes with a CARB sticker.

I was fortunate to be one of the 3 X's they used to do a prototype on. It's true I did recieve the final product as an Aircharger. BTW, what is the part number for the filter element? I have about 30k mile on mine and I need a cleaning. I was going to buy a second element to install while cleaning and oiling the other. If you still have the instructions, it should label a part number of the filter element. Any help would be appreciated! thanks jgt!

I also have the Gibson/K&N combo. I love it! not too loud and the exhaust note sounds mean. And there's no droning in the cabin, great choice!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, Sarek

Good to see you over here. This is a fun board.

Yeah, I was surprised when the K&N kit showed up from FLIK in a FIPK Gen II box. I don't have any need for the CARB certification, but you never know.

I'm really loving the intake and the Gibson exhaust. Mine's been on a couple weeks now, and had mellowed out to a really nice deep sound. Had to get started on some performance mods to match the appearance improvements that got started when I bought those awesome clear corners from "Suzie's Friend".

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:doh: Oh, you asked about the part numbers.

The new number for the whole kit is 57-2539

The filter element is RF-1048

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks a lot jgt! I needed that to order the part.

Yeah, I really like the format of this forum. Looks like your X is coming along nicely!! Check out the Helwig Stabilzer too. It fits well with the Gibson. It doesn't get in the way (ahem...snooz) 8). And it really does work! I got it right after they did an article on it on SUVworld. It works well with the Ground Force Springs too. No more leaning on those long off ramps, and it corners better than my girlfriends Honda!! hahaha...When I take her Civic quickly on the turns, she's says, "Slow down! This isn't like your truck..." and I said, "that's right... it's not like my truck!"

Hey, I like your avatar, how do i get mine?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hey, I like your avatar, how do i get mine?
Just go into your Edit Profile page and you can either attach an avatar, or link to an offsite avatar.

If you need me to make one for you, just shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm.. just read that article on the Hellwig stabilizer. Sure looks like a painless way to upgrade the handling a little bit. I'll bet it would help out a lot when I'm towing my boat. Did you buy yours from one of the "Explorer-friendly" suppliers?

I've been a little hesitant about suspension changes. My tires are 275/55/18, which ends up with a somewhat larger diameter than stock, so I don't know if I could lower it without causing any rubbing problems. The increased weight of the larger wheel/tire package is fairly noticeable in the handling response, and sometime I'd like to look at doing something with springs and/or shocks to improve it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hmmm.. just read that article on the Hellwig stabilizer. Sure looks like a painless way to upgrade the handling a little bit. I'll bet it would help out a lot when I'm towing my boat. ?Did you buy yours from one of the "Explorer-friendly" suppliers?

Unfortunately I didn't know John V or Flik when I got them. And the install was easier than the Gibson! It's one of those simple designs that make you say, "why didn't I think of that".

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The increased weight of the larger wheel/tire package is fairly noticeable in the handling response, and sometime I'd like to look at doing something with springs and/or shocks to improve it.
You should talk with John at EE, they discovered a company at SEMA that has developed a lowering and lifting kit for our independent rear suspension 2002+ trucks. He has indicated that they will have the lift kit sometime around Feburary...then he will be lifting mine the max it will go. I beleive he told me it was with springs and shocks and an Audi company, but don't hold me to that I could be a little worng.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw the announcement John posted about that adjustable height kit. Really looks sweet!!! Pretty expensive, but it really looks like a well engineered solution.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Looks like I missed that article and I can't seem to find it...can you help a girl out and point her in the right direction

Here you go:

Click me

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I keep forgetting you have that product for sale FLIK. I try to follow the 3rd generation Explorers as much as possible but for whatever reason I keep forgetting about that bar. That's a MUST for anyone who wants improved handling no matter WHAT you do with your Explorer!
Not to mention an awesome price!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts