Explorer Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm a newbie explorer owner and not sure I want to be. I just bought a 2002 xlt 4 door with 4.6 v8 and the transfer case was leaking pretty bad. So I went to take it to a shop to have them re-seal it but they wouldn't because the fluid was pretty black. So I went to a salvage yard and bought a new one for 100 bucks. Fluid was good, no sings that it had leaked so I reinstalled it and drove around on side streets still no leaking. I made they 50 mile drive home, on the high way, and when I got home and looked under it, it was leaking. As far as going to 4x4 high and low it worked fine, just leaks so what is my best choice to go about fixing this issue i really don't want to have to get under it and pump more fluid in it every couple of weeks but don't have 1500 buck's for a new one any suggestions please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hard to tell i think the front drive shaft seal and meybe the case it's self on top where it splits in half it only leaks after driving not when it's just sitting

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
If it were me I would have it pulled out and replace any seals or gaskets. It's the only way to make sure it's right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts