Explorer Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can buy leather seatz for the front and back to replace the cloth seatz in an XLT... how much do they cost... no seat coverz

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Check eBay, theres listings for Explorer seats all the time. Pricing will vary on condition and year, so I really cant say.

G

·
This is a little off topic, but, if I were to get tan or grey leather seats, is it possible to dye them to Green. I think its impossible to find any green interior let alone leather seats for a sport!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
leather comes in just about every color you can think of, and you can transform ur interior to just about any color you wnat as well, just a lil customization and some money

G

·
But can it be died. I want to use seats from say a '98 since they don't have the little holes in them and dye them green to match my interior. I think this will be cheaper than buying the leather covers from Cat Skinz(I think thats what its called)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Umm.... I think Hartman tried that once with no success at all... if you really want green seats, do a little research on other makes and models and see what comes with green interior like that, then swap it. It can't be THAT hard to get deats to fit in your X. other that that, your other option would be the Katskinz.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
You can most definitely dye your seats. But I recommend taking it to a professional to have it done correctly and to have a good seal & protectant on the dye. I bought tan Mercedes Benz seats (in the auction they were gray, I swear, but when I went to pick them up they were tan :roll: ) and dyed them black myself and did a good but not thorough job on the seal. The seats looked AMAZING, it CAN be done, but you have to make sure you do everything right and not with haste.

Here's a look at my Benz seats (I sold them and now use a Mountaineer leather interior):

<center>
</center>

And theres plenty more pictures where that came from. Best thing about this mod was that it was CUSTOM, I did it MYSELF, and learned A LOT. I dont plan on doing this again with my current Explorer but I am definitely a "Ford guy" so I will consider doing this again in a future vehicle.

BTW my general taste in cars (in no order) are Ford (thats right, to hell with Chevy, GMC), VW, BMW, Mercedes Benz (some, not all), and yes -- even some Jeeps. I consider something like Porsches to be on the "higher" level of car purchases so its not economical to list.

G

·
Those look great! Its not the front seats I'm worried about, its the rear seats. And I want them to be all the same material

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah those seatz look really good... i dont have an explorer yet but i might buy an XLT with grey leather but the front driver seat leather is worn so thats why i was curious... I do like the idea of 4 bucket seats though that might add room for more sound system things and it will keep people from trying to skip w/ me when we decide to leave school... im going to put a maximum capacity weight on my window

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can most definitely dye your seats. But I recommend taking it to a professional to have it done correctly and to have a good seal & protectant on the dye. I bought tan Mercedes Benz seats (in the auction they were gray, I swear, but when I went to pick them up they were tan ?:roll: ) and dyed them black myself and did a good but not thorough job on the seal. The seats looked AMAZING, it CAN be done, but you have to make sure you do everything right and not with haste.

Here's a look at my Benz seats (I sold them and now use a Mountaineer leather interior):

what did you hav to do to get the mercedes seatz to fit in the explorer ... do mountaineer seats fit in any explorer just like any explorer seats fit in??

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah, actually I have a full Mountaineer interior right now in my Explorer. So I guess thats "custom" too. The Mountainer interior will bolt right into your exact pre-existing Explorer bolt points/seat positioning. Very easy, painless install & swap.

As far as the Mercedes seats in simplified terms, I made sure the seats width didn't exceed the room I had to work with (MINIMAL) and I removed the Benz seat brackets + tracks from the bottom and bolted up the Explorer ones. Had to drill bolt points into the bottom of the Benz seat frames, nothing terribly hard but obviously you have to make sure the alignment is exact.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Did it myself, it wasnt that hard at all to wire up but you definitely need some wiring know-how.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts