Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i was looking at a few different setups here...and i dont know what one to choose... let me hear what you guys think..

Eclipes avn2454

http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/avn/avn_top.htm

this unit has everything you can think of..

it has one slot for a cd and one slot for a dvd... navagation built in and touch screen.. double din 5.8 wide screen.. this is the best of the best right now i think but im kinda leary about the 5.8in screen i no 6.5 isint much either but its a little bigger..

i found this for close to 1200 on the internet

OR:

Pioneer AVH-P6400CD

6.5in lcd screen motorized pop out,cd no navagation built in but can add and no dvd build in(put ps2 in car)700 new on ebay

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PIOAVHP6400CD

tell me what you guys think and if you have any other ideas let me now....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That Eclipse unit is state of the art, and it can do just about anything. The screen is a little smaller than most, which lets them make it so it doesn't stick up above the unit when its open. Keep in mind that the DVD drive is where the navigation database will be when you're using navigation. $1,200 would be a very low price for that unit, and probably doesn't include a factory warranty. Warranty would be a good thing to have on something that expensive (I just had my Clarion VRX935VD in for basically a complete rebuild, without a warranty it would have gone in the trash).

The Pioneers don't have as many features, but they are also a lot cheaper. If you didn't have space to leave your PS2 laying around in your truck all the time, you can buy a little add-on DVD unit for about a hundred bucks.

I've been happy with my Clarion, except for when it was in the shop for 4 weeks. It has DVD capability in the unit, and a 7" screen.

If you have a lot of money, the Alpine AV-810 is a fantastic unit. You can add on a navigation unit to it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, we just bought the Alpine IVA-D300 for our Navigator. Alpine just started shipping these babies last friday. They feature this new pulse-touch technology that makes the touch screen feel like you are actually pushing physical buttons. All the buttons have a different feel... its really cool and really wierd at the same time. Its only 1500$ retail so im sure it can be had for 1200 or 1300 online. It won some awards at CES this year as well.

The big benefit of this unit is its integration with a bunch of alpines new stuff, primarily the new MRD-550 Amp, which is a 5.1 surround sound amp that is completely digital and has all the dolby pro-logic and DTS encoders built in, as well as a 130+ band EQ, 6ch time correction, SACD encoding etc... All of which will interface with the headunit touch screen allowing you to control all the features of the amp, including the GAINS, xover points etc, right from the front of the truck. No more fumbling around the lil knobs on an amp.

Im not sure what direction you are trying to head with your system, but if its a digital theatre on wheels, this is pretty much the way to go because of its linkability with the new 5 channel theatre amp. Of course it also interfaces with the navigation unit, XM, Backup cameras, etc... all of which will function fully through the touch screen :) No more friggin remotes. The IVA-D300 w/ the MRD-550 Amp is priced at 2500$ or somewhere around there as a package deal. You will have to wait till May for the amp to become available tho.

Here is the info on it out of the 2004 catalog they have.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Wow that looks sick. I'd get one of those, but I'd use it for navigation and so forth and not really for movies.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Damn that is awsome!!!!!! I too would use it for navigation mostly. I also really like the new Pioneer unit. That's strange how they can make each button feel different.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what comes with that alipne unit i really like that alot and might buy that within the next few days.....does the nav setup come with it or do you have to buy it seperate..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok im so confused theres so much to learn when it comes to these things.... does the 300 come with a dvd and cd player slot built in?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, IVA-D300 is an in-dash DVD/CD/MP3 player w/ a motorized 6.5" flip-up touchscreen display. It has a single disc capacity which will play dvd's Cd's cdr/rw's and MP3 encoded cd's. It has inputs on the back for GPS Navigation, XM radio tuner, TV tuner, 6disc Dvd Changer, it also has 1 aux input for something like a back-up camera, PS2, Xbox, VCR etc.

If you wish to have a multi-monitor setup capable of displaying different inputs on the different monitors simultaneously you will need the video-switcher unit (all of these products are listed on the image i attatched).

In our Navigator we are running the IVA-D300 in the front along with 2 6.5" TC LCDs in the headrests. The switcher allows us to view/use the Navigation System up front on the in-dash monitor, while one of the rear passengers watches a DVD movie, and the other rear passenger plays w/ the PS2 all at the same time. The rear monitors in our navigator are also touch screen, and interface with the IVA-D300 so that the rear passengers can switch what they are watching independantly so they dont have to bother the driver to make the change for them. Its really friggin cool.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok guys do u think this alipine unit is worth the money or is it just a waste.....and y... i can get it for $1300 i think its a sweet unit and always wanted one but is 1300 just to much to spend on somethign liek this or should i go for a cheaper model.. are the pictures really what they say they are quality like...?help me out i got invisible guys on my shoulder tellin me buy buy buy then the other ones u moron(well hes always there)dont waster ur money.... what do you guys think.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah yeah, its 7" not 6.5" - my bad.

I think the new IVA-D300 utilizes some awesome breakthrough technology in terms of touchscreens. Personally i think its worth the money. The screen quality is great. Alpine, IMO makes one of the best screens on the market for mobile video. HEH, you wanna see an amazing screen, look at the Alpine f#1 status flip-up screen. Its awesome!!! (too bad its 4000$ and its just a motorized monitor, no DVD player 0_o)

The huge benefit of touch screen is its EASE of use. Have ya evered tried to enter an address into a Navigation system using those stupid remotes... its impossible. W/ the Touchscreen its darn quick and simple.

I always look at it like this. "Buy it Right, or Buy it twice" If you are looking for an indash monitor/dvd player, your already looking to spend about 1000$ bucks, so if the one thats got the coolest/best features or best picture costs a few hundred dollars more.. its probably worth it. Its not like the price difference is massive.

Although we are in the process of installing an $11,000 Alpine system in our navigator, so maybe the $1000 just seems like a relativly small amount to me when i look at the total cost of the system thats being installed? I dunno

BTW, alpine just put up the full info on the IVA-D300 on their site: http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_i...gory=&p_main=30

The IVA-D900, btw is last years model, and isnt touch screen. Not sure why its more expensive either.. But I beleive alpine is trying to reduce the prices on their product to be more competative, but judging by the new stuff they are coming out with this year, they havnt reduced the quality of product to lower the price. But the prices this year on stuff are a good bit lower than before. Especially the f#1 status stuff, its come waaaay down in price.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Although we are in the process of installing an $11,000 Alpine system in our navigator, so maybe the $1000 just seems like a relativly small amount to me when i look at the total cost of the system thats being installed? I dunno
Holy ****! What all is involved in this "system?" Dude, that is downright nuts! Lock it up!

·
Registered
171 Posts
The system is 100% Alpine (except the Rear backup camera and the radar diffuser)

HeadUnit:

IVA-D300 7" In-Dash TouchScreen LCD/DVD Player

Screens:

2x TME-M770 6.5" TouchScreen Monitors

1x TMX-R705 7" Motorized Flip-Down Monitor

Front Stage:

1x SPX-177R 6.5" Flagship Components

1x SPX-F13M 5.25" Flagship Center Channel

Rear Stage:

1x SPX-177R 6.5" Flagship Components

Subwoofer:

2x SWX-1242 12" Type-X Subwoofer

Amplifiers:

1x MRD-550 5.1Ch Theatre Amplifier

2x MRD-1001 1ch 1000W Sub Amp

*Extras*

1x NVE-N852A GPS Navigation System

1x VPE-S431 Video Switcher Module

1x XM radio tuner

1x Rear Back-up Video Camera

1x DHA-S680 6disc DVD/CD/MP3 Changer

1x K40 Undetectabe 2-remote Radar/Laser Diffuser

Custom Install Stuff:

Fiberglass Radia Bezel

Custom Dash work- house 5.25 center channel system

Custom Door Panels for component speakers

Custom Fiberglass Amp rack Built into rear liftgate

Custom Sub enclosure. (completely Stealth installed)

It will be in the shop for about a month... Lots of crap to be done.

But, its just yer basic $11,000 Audio/Video System. ;-P

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
That is just insane, cool, but insane.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok guys i bought the alipine iva-d300 and what a unit OMG!!! its is soo awsome.. incredable picture quality..... jst one thing i couldnt figure out and AnabolicFrolic, you might know this to play a dvd it says in the book u have hook one wire to the brake light lead and another to the park brake light lead.. i was told you could hook that parking brake light wire to a toggle switch and ground that so you could switch to a dvd while you were driving but i can get it to work....need help......

·
Registered
171 Posts
do a search in google for the "PAC TR-7" This is a module they sell that should take care of the problem, they market it as a solution for people with Boats, that dont parking brakes to wire up these DVD players up to.

I always thought you could just ground those two wires to something, and it would eliminate the issue, but it may not be the case.

I cant be of further help because the Navigator is in the shop currently having all this junk installed right now. Plus, i dont really know much about the wiring on these things. I just know the d300 ownz :)

Im also glad u r happy with the decision. The touch screen ability, and picture quality are what sold me on this unit. and from what i can tell, these are things you love as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what does that PAC TR-7 acually do? but yea im very happy with the new unit and im sure you will be to..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts