Explorer Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Both the steering wheel and ignition are locked up on my 1999 Explorer Eddie Baure Edition with anti-theft, awd . No amount of turning, pushing etc. works. Thank-you for any type of help on this.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That is real odd. Usually you can force the wheel one way or another while trying the ignition. I don't think there is any option but dis-assembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought you'd say that...ugh! Any special care I should take in regards the air bag and anti-theft? Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Disconnect the negative battery terminal under the hood and wait at least 10 minutes before working on the airbag.

I don't exactly know what part of the column holds the locking mechanism even though I have pulled the column/dash multiple times for various reasons. Hopefully the failure is due to a component being stuck and just needing a little greasing.

·
S351 95-0023 XP8 00-0021
8 Posts
What is the end result? I am now having same problem. My switch will NOT turn. Tried the backup key also. Lightly tapped the key (as I don't wanna damage anything) and still will not turn. I have tried jiggling the wheel, and shift lever while holding brake. I have tried shaking the Explorer back and forth. Nothing. I CANNOT get he switch out, as I cannot turn it to the "ON" position to push the pin. I am mechanically inclined, and just need a little guidance. I do NOT wanna drill it out, and I do not wanna take it to a shop. Any idea's? I also saw on another post in here where someone used a crescent wrench on the switch and heard a "pop" to get it to turn. I understand that may work, but what was the "pop"? I don't wanna force the switch to turn and break something that is not tumbler / lock specific.

·
S351 95-0023 XP8 00-0021
8 Posts
All the You Tube DIY's show you turning the key to the "On" position, and then pushing the "removal" pin from under column. Nothing that shows the switch locked!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts