Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i install dry carbon fiber wraps.

it's a 3M vinyl product that is DESIGNED for these type of applications.

it's NOT the fabric stuff that has been around for a while now.

one of many exterior jobs:

here are some photos of a headlight ring for a mini being done step by step:

the liquid being brushed on is an adhesive promoter. the vinyl does have it's own glue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I sent u a pair of explorer mirrors off a 96 could u cover those? I like the carbon fiber mirros that were on the slaeens and since my clone is missing the passenger side this is a better option to having the same look. Please let me know cause I am very serious about getting it done

Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's interesting material. Does it have a texture, it looks very good in almost all of those cars. How much does it cost per square foot?

It does have texture. In fact, enough to shred apart a wet paper towel. (did that today, doh)

i know of two places to get it online.

one is $65 a sq/ft, and goes down to around $45 in bulk.

one is 16.25 a sq/ft, and goes down to around $7 in bulk.

same exact material. i own one of those sites. what one would you like the link to? ;)

If I sent u a pair of explorer mirrors off a 96 could u cover those? I like the carbon fiber mirros that were on the slaeens and since my clone is missing the passenger side this is a better option to having the same look. Please let me know cause I am very serious about getting it done

Joe

I sure could.

Odds are you could do them yourself though. The material is very easy to work with, and very forgiving.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Very good. Is it rugged at all, can it take the mild use of our plastic grille to radiator cover? That piece is close to four feet long, and under a foot wide. It has lots of curves and shape to it, so it would be interesting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very good. Is it rugged at all, can it take the mild use of our plastic grille to radiator cover? That piece is close to four feet long, and under a foot wide. It has lots of curves and shape to it, so it would be interesting.

Its VERY rugged. It's desiged for outdoor wrapping, vehicle wrapping, etc.

The roll limit is 48, so it's perfect sized.

I'm local to Rob, I wonder if he'd like to test it out...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will it show small imperfections on the surface underneath?

We've gotten away with clearcoat imperfections, but any "dings", protrusions or whatnot would be seen.

Since you're covering the surface, its a great time to learn basic bodywork.

We've knocked out rust around a sunroof, patched welded, and bondoed before laying vinyl.

First time doing body work, and its... smooth now. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
It does have texture. In fact, enough to shred apart a wet paper towel. (did that today, doh)

i know of two places to get it online.

one is $65 a sq/ft, and goes down to around $45 in bulk.

one is 16.25 a sq/ft, and goes down to around $7 in bulk.

same exact material. i own one of those sites. what one would you like the link to? ;)

I am sure i could too but since you seem to have it down i think it would come out better lol, i am a perfectionist so never happy with my own work lol. i also want to have the radio bezel in the same explorer done like you did. I have alot of pieces for u lol just think about prices and pm me and i will get some stuff headed your way

Joe

I sure could.

Odds are you could do them yourself though. The material is very easy to work with, and very forgiving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks great! Nicely done...much better than the crap I've seen in the past!

Thanks.

I've been waiting 6 years for something like this to come to market.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
To me it almost looks as if it would feel rubberish, sort of like shelf liner or something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To me it almost looks as if it would feel rubberish, sort of like shelf liner or something.

Not quite. Its more like a textured surface. It makes that "zip" sound if you run your nail over it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
c63 done today. did the chrome around the windows, and the wood interior bits.

all pics are taken during the job. i always forget to take final pictures.

you'll notice edges and stuff that are not sealed yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
most edges seal by themselves. we tuck the vinyl as far under any moldings or into any crevices as we can.

the tough spots are sealed with "primer 94" an adhesive promoter i use & sell. you brush on, wait 30 seconds, and apply again. No movey.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's interesting material. Does it have a texture, it looks very good in almost all of those cars. How much does it cost per square foot?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts