Explorer Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen another body kit for the explorer on nopi.com. Is that one worth geting? Or is the crome look I have good? I was thinking about painting my front grille the color of my X. If anyone got any input on it let me know, or if you think I should do somthing

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Well first of all that Ereubeni (sp) body kit is no longer manufactured, so if something happened to it you'd be screwed pretty much. Secondly, its HIGHLY overpriced.

What I DO recommend is painting your grill, bumpers and body paneling to match the color of your truck. It's a BIG difference and looks fantastic. Best examples I've seen are trucks such as (in no order) , <a href="http://www.explorertalk.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5">Black Magic's, and MadRooster's. Depending on how much you want done that will determine the overall price. Also if you remove the pieces yourself and bring them to a bodyshop to be painted you will save yourself HUNDREDS of dollars as that will significantly chop the labor costs in half or more.

I'm getting my trim panels/bumpers painted black to match my truck very very soon. I'm also doing some of the painting of my parts myself. Certain items I will have done professionally though.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it is possible to paint over the crome? Hmm this could be interesting. Its just a matter of, do I want to replace the tail gate first or do the painting. The painting I can get done probably sooner and cheaper.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yes the painting 100x can be done sooner and cheaper whether you do it yourself or have it done professionally. The chrome on your body pieces (grill, rear bumper, etc.) is more or less just a series of chrome paint on top of a primered surface. This means, if you simply sand down the chrome, primer it, then it is ready to be painted. Of course that makes it sound so much easier than it really is, but the point is there. You'll have to do a lot of sanding and smoothing but once its ready it can most certainly be painted, there are countless Explorer owners like yourself that got rid of the chrome in that specific method.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You'll look like a Limited then which, IMHO, I like better anyway.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
:word: Got to love the monotone look!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts