Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked like the real deal to me. They will work for all years, but if you have an external EGR you would have to get a boss welded onto them. These thing DO NOT turn up very often, so if your looking for em act quick.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
That's them, 202 and 5 days left, that could get high.

Tas, you better check on them, they say for a 1996 only, i think that's because they are not for the p heads. And i think 98's have the gt40p heads, the spark plug angle is different.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They will work on the 40 or the 40P heads. The only problem Ted will have would be the external EGR. Just requires a boss be welded up to mount the EGR tube. Otherwise they will bolt right up.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hey guys, what do I need to do to weld a egr bung on the headers? Do I need to cut off the one from the stockers and weld it onto the new headers? Would this be a fairly simple task if I had access to a welder? I know somebody who can weld.

Also, are these fms headers c.a.r.b. approved?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Good for you TAS.
Maybe you can do some kind of write up on your install???

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thats cool, TAS, I was gonna bid on them but decided to spend money elsewhere. I would really like to see a write up on those, It would nice to see.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Best thing to do is pull the stock one, mock up a jig that duplicates the position of the EGR bung, and then find a competent welder who can put it all together. I ended up getting it done at a metal fabrication/welding shop, but my old man had it ready to go. All they had to do was weld it up. You will need a piece of pipe to go between the header and EGR bung and this is the tricky part. It ends up getting welded on at a real odd angle. Lots of trial and error with the jig until you get the end of the pipe that mates to the header shaped right.

Hope this makes sense.
:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Good for you TAS.
Maybe you can do some kind of write up on your install???
Write-up?! You mean you want me to install these myself?

98X50, thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of yours would you?

I plan on having the headers ceramic coated as well. So, my biggest concern is that I will most likely be without my daily driver for a couple of weeks, while this gets done. I'll need to take off the stockers, weld a bung on the fms headers, then send them out to get coated and sent back, and then have them installed or tackle the job myself. I guess I could always walk to work. :roll:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can get you a picture, but it won't be pretty! 7' temps, snow and slop make for a dirty X with an even dirtier engine bay.

Your smart to go the ceramic coating route. It will help keep engine bay temps down, and improve the performance of the header (slightly).

Give me a day or two for that pic. I work all weekend.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Tas, those headers are going to be a *censored* to install. There is no room on the p-side and this is why my FMS headers are still in a box

by the way congrats on winning the bid

1 - 20 of 31 Posts