Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 06 Explorer XLT bought in June 18 as our primary driver. During that time, the following has happened only when turning the ign key off after a drive. All power is lost; no lights, no radio, no locks, everything is dead. Then, a little later all is well again! My wife just drove to the store and when she got there, all power shut down. She was freakin' out! I'm thinking something is being cycled when the ignition is turned off that causes a 100% loss of power but I cannot find what might do that! Can anyone point me in the right direction? Will a code reader provide some help?

I hate these intermittent problems that are almost impossible to find (or repeat on command)!

TIA -
Larry

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yes intermittent problems can be a PITA. I'd start by suspecting the ignition switch itself. Wait, you wrote lights. They come on without a key in the ignition at all don't they? I'd next check corrosion on the battery terminals.

No a code reader can't help if there is no power, and it wouldn't be an OBDII designated code anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Loss of all Power

Yes intermittent problems can be a PITA. I'd start by suspecting the ignition switch itself. Wait, you wrote lights. They come on without a key in the ignition at all don't they? I'd next check corrosion on the battery terminals.

No a code reader can't help if there is no power, and it wouldn't be an OBDII designated code anyway.
Thanks JC,
As soon as my wife described the problem, (she's the primary driver following my 5th Knee Surgery on left leg) - I cleaned the battery posts and connectors. Also, I was able to extract a little more info from my wife - the engine never shuts down. The Radio and display in the dash go dark. She has always been parking when it happened - 5 out 6 times it happened she was turning into out driveway, the 6th time she was at Walmart looking for a parking space. But the engine always stays running - although it idles a little rough at times, which may be an unrelated issue (likely spark plugs since I think these are the originals.), but the engine never dies. Then, once parked, she turns it off, and if she tries to restart she gets nothing - no engine cranking, no lights in the dash display, and no radio.

I think I need to look at the Ignition Switch and I'll probably have the starter tested just to be safe.

BTW, several times it was impossible for her to even insert the key in the ignition... BTW, she said "insert" the key but may have meant "turn".

Thx,
LarryT
06 Explorer XLT 4.0L

1 - 3 of 3 Posts