Explorer Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I lowered my 97 sport 4x4, just the front though. On the pass side i was only able to lower 1.5" with the bolt almost all the way out. The drivers side still has half the bolt left to unscrew for some reason. So my front is lowered 1.5" and I left the back as is. I have at least 210 pounds of stereo equiptment whichs ways the back down pretty good. The back sits .75" higer than the front, so i have a nice rake look (which i was going for). I need to get an alignment ASAP. Does anybody know why i was only able to get 1.5" of drop? Also if anybody is interested i can take some pics this weekend.

·
Registered
303 Posts
did you compress your front suspension after taking the bolt out? either get some guys to push down on the hood and bumper or drive over a curb a few times. i lowered mine recently and i drove over a big curb by my house.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you compress your front suspension after taking the bolt out? ?either get some guys to push down on the hood and bumper or drive over a curb a few times. ?i lowered mine recently and i drove over a big curb by my house.

O ya, my dad and I pushed on the bumper like crazy every few turns of the torsion bolts. Then once we were done we drove it on some really bumpy roads. What else could it be?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Blinker fluid.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeah that blinker fluid makes the one side heavier than the other.
Seriously, though, my T bolts are backed out the whole way and I only got about 1.5-1.75 of drop. Now mine are pretty much the same on each side, but I'm sure it will vary with every different X.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No, blocks in the back and torsion bar twist in the front. There's a link around here somewhere.......(off to find it)

It does depend on your year, however. Up to and including 2001, you can use this method. 2002 and up, you need springs (4 wheel independent suspension).

Here it is: http://www.explorertalk.com/modules.php?name=...=showpage&pid=2

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats good to hear that im not the only one who could drop only 1.5". Its just weird though, the pass side is dropped as far as it can go and the drivers side is matched with that but still has half the bolt left to unsrew. So basically i could prolly get 2.5"-3" out of the drivers torsion bar but not the pass.

·
Registered
170 Posts
yeah every explorer is differnt when i did my t-bar lift one side was allredy maxed out and the other side had the bolt almost toatly unscrewed. and it was sitting the same on both sides. but i finnaly got some ore out of the driver side.

good job
got any pic's?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I didn't even remove my T-bolts out all the way and there's still plenty more to crank out and I got a 3" drop, both sides. And that was on stock shocks too. I think Sports just have that advantage though, its weird. Like Black Magic was able to do the same thing as me. Same deal his t-bolts are still in as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must have a "weird" X then, but o well, i'm happy with 1.5".

LIMITEDXplorer, i work tomor (sat), then sunday i'm going wax my truck then take some pics and post em. I think im just going to post it in the greeting hall and properly introduce myself since i just bought a digital camera.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I lowered my 97 mountineer 2" front and back last week. got it align today. i am real happy how good my mountineer looks and rides!!!. just wanted to say when i drove to get the truck align it rode great!! i still have the stock shocks on it and ride almost feel almost the same as stock.i will post some pics soon

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You still do the bolts on 01-04 Sports and Sport Tracs.

Yes, all 95-04 2 doors have torsion bolts. The 02+ 4 doors have Springs.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts